Trip to the Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderWater Angler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A couple of us up here at the shop have been throwing around the idea of getting a trip together to go to the Flower Gardens. I'm just wanting to see if there is any interest from the club to go. I am not sure of the specifics but I am getting all of that together as we speak. But basically we would drive to Louisiana or maybe Texas, depending on the specifics and hop on board a live-aboard that evening and make way to the site. All food and accommodation is provided, besides beer and soda, as well as air fills. Most companies seem to be offering around 5 dives per day, with about a 2hr surface interval, and a max depth of 130ft.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this trip further just shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

C.T.

Actually yes, I talked to the Diver's Emporium who has bought the rights to book a couple of the bookings for the Fling, a 100ft live-aboard. You're looking at around 460 for air and 550 if you want to do all of your dives on Nitrox.

This would be for a 3 day trip with up to 12 dives, and two being night dives. Basically you get there late Monday night and board the boat at around 9pm. All night you make way to the reefs about 100nm offshore, and start diving at around 7am the next morning. The captain will move the boat according to conditions and time, allowing us to hit East, West and Stetson reefs, along with a dive on one or maybe two of the offshore rigs.

Everything is included with the price, food, bunks, fills all except for beer, soda, souvenirs and tips for the crew.

Diver's Emporium only has around 3 spots left, but there are three other shops with spots left for this trip. Right now I am looking at mid July to make the trip, with this particular one leaving on the 16th I believe. But right now it is only research, we can work it out to whatever day ends up being the best.

Here is the link for the Company that runs the boat: Fling Charters

If you are interested just respond to this thread!

Thanks,
C.T.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend this trip. The Flower Gardens offer coral reefs that are comparable to the Keys or Caribbean. Nitrox is advisable as the diving is intensive, depths start at around 80 feet and you'll do five dives on the full days (inc. night dive) and two in the morning of the return day. Food is served buffet and there is always something out. All you do from 6am to 9pm is dive and eat.

I would highly recommend this trip. The Flower Gardens offer coral reefs that are comparable to the Keys or Caribbean. Nitrox is advisable as the diving is intensive, depths start at around 80 feet and you'll do five dives on the full days (inc. night dive) and two in the morning of the return day. Food is served buffet and there is always something out. All you do from 6am to 9pm is dive and eat.

And us old folks try to sleep a little more.:D

Yeah, a lot of us try to catch a nap between dives. Just make sure your buddy knows your bunk number and that you want to do the next dive. Someone usually calls down to the bunks that it's time to get ready but they don't go bunk to bunk shaking you.

Yeah, a lot of us try to catch a nap between dives. Just make sure your buddy knows your bunk number and that you want to do the next dive. Someone usually calls down to the bunks that it's time to get ready but they don't go bunk to bunk shaking you.

Yeah, nothing like Mel's gentle whisper, "Divers, get up, 15 minutes to dive time."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom