Local big box store sold out of their scuba stuff...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psychocabbage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gander Mountain got rid of its scuba stuff.. So today I found one of their employees on craigslist getting rid of some of the tanks he had bought.

I picked up 5 luxfer 80s and 1 63.. the 63 was brand new. the 5 were previously used for rental.. all current vis and hydro..
$500 for the lot! I am pretty happy! we now have entire setups for me the wife and our 3 daughters who all dive..

Next purchase.. A compressor... and maybe a pool..
haha

My three used tanks, two Catalina 80's and a 19cf Catalina pony cost me $174 total including delivery for one of them. I was able to pick up the other two. A local diver had to quit because of sinus trouble and sold them cheap. The other I got off of Ebay. All were in hydro and inspected.

Its always good to find a decent deal.

My fallback plan was to take a trip from Texas to Florida via our car to visit Dad and pick up some tanks there (super cheap new prices compared to here)..

This was a decent alternative.

Pics of my new tanks and all our regs attached.. hehe

normal_scubatanks1.jpg

normal_scubatanks4.jpg

$500 for 6 used (rentals, even) aluminum tanks? :confused: Might be a bit steep.

all are inspected and their condition is great since not too many people rented from the store. Few knew it had a scuba dept. Hence why they got out of the scuba biz.. $83 a tank sounds very good to me. Most of the tanks around these parts that come up for sale are either made of gold (they want more than new price) or they are old and have not been inspected in years and still want $100 a tank.. So getting 6 tanks with air in them and all in good condition for $500 sounds like a great deal to me.

Where are you that you get tanks for cheap?

(I post in the Basic Scuba Discussions because I have 0 desire to ever have any "tech" type of diving or gear. I solely do recreational diving with the family. Why would I want steel?)

all are inspected and their condition is great since not too many people rented from the store. Few knew it had a scuba dept. Hence why they got out of the scuba biz.. $83 a tank sounds very good to me. Most of the tanks around these parts that come up for sale are either made of gold (they want more than new price) or they are old and have not been inspected in years and still want $100 a tank.. So getting 6 tanks with air in them and all in good condition for $500 sounds like a great deal to me.

Where are you that you get tanks for cheap?

(I post in the Basic Scuba Discussions because I have 0 desire to ever have any "tech" type of diving or gear. I solely do recreational diving with the family. Why would I want steel?)

Just search Craigslist. You can occasionally find Al80s for ~$50-$60.

"occasionally" (might?) find, is not the same as "did" find. 83 bucks sounds good to me. (See bird in hand vs. 2 in the bush.)

I think that if you think you got a great deal, you got a great deal. $83 a tank sounds like pretty good if you did not have to pay for shipping or drive very far to get the tanks. Plus you got all of them at once instead of having to piecemeal your purchases. It was only one trip instead of 6 separate trips to find a bargin so I say you got exactly what you wanted - a great deal.

At the end of the day, it is your money and you should be proud that you got a deal and did not have to buy new tanks.

It's not the deal of the century. But to snap up that many in nice shape ready to go without dickering with Tom Dick & Harry does have some appeal if AL cylinders are your thing. I know I value my time and tracking down that many nice used cylinders is a project in itself.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom