Scuba friendly sunscreen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkyo74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
about to dive in "warm" water for the first time.... anyone recommend a good sunscreen that won't have my mask sliding all over the place or run in my eyes while diving?

thanks!

I don't know about keeping it from running into your eyes, but you should use an eco-friendly one. Chemicals in sunscreen kill reefs. Swimmers' Sunscreen Killing Off Coral

The organic ones tend to be thicker, and harder to find, but it's worth the extra effort to know I'm not destroying the very reef that I'm admiring. :)

All my diving has been in the semi-tropics. I've never used sunscreen and didn't need it while diving. You're under water most of the time or in a wetsuit and most trips to the reefs or wrecks usually aren't long enough to warrant it's use unless you are super-sensitive to the sun.

Our LDS sells a sunscreen specifically designed for diving, that is both water-resistant and safe for marine life. I don't recall the brand name off the top of my head, but I have some at home and can check later.

I hate the way sunscreen always gets in my eyes when I put it on my face, so I never put sunscreen on my face when diving (although I do the rest of my body). I just keep a hat on until I'm about to jump in, then it goes back on as soon I'm out.

Try this stuff ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had mask leakage once, and think it was due to sunscreen, so now I go the hat route. Anyone else figure they have a mask sealing problem from sunscreen?

I used to use BullFrog but it is really greasy. What I found really works good when applied about 1/2 hour before going in to the water is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 45. It is non-greasy, designed to not block your pores and stays on for hours in water. I usually end up all red after a day diving, but with this stuff I barely get any color.

Garrobo is incorrect because those of us with lighter complextions (i.e. white guys with blond hair) will get burned very fast on the surface, in or out of the water. Garrobo probably has an olive complextion and dark hair and can stand out in the sun all day without getting burned.

I used the Mexitan sunscreen (in the above link). It is natural, so I like it. However, remember that any sunscreen that says it's water resistant or water proof will still need to be re-applied. It can only stay on so long...

Unfortunately, I have the same issue as you. I don't like to put it on my face because it feels greasy and runs into my eyes. The skin on my face is prone to burning (more sensitive than the rest of my skin) so it really sucks....but what I try to do is not put sunscreen on when I'm diving and stay in the shade as much as possible (a hat, and umbrella, a shirt I hold over my head....whatever keeps your face out of the sun). Then I put sunscreen on when I'm done diving. It seems to work okay, but only if you remember to get it on right away after you're done diving!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom