Inner ear dizziness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigWillieStyles

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just successfully completed my open water/scuba dive course just finishing yesterday.

Ive got a few questions regarding my physical state after flying this morning back home.

Yesterday I completed 3 dives, the deepest to about 13metres (42 feet). I felt physically strong before and after the dive. However this morning when the plane was taking off i felt dizziness, which continued throughout the flight and I had to equalize my ears alot as well. I have had about 18 hours between diving and flying which my dive company claimed was enough time to release the existing nitrogen in my bloodstream. My partner also did the course however, she is fine.

Im home now, and I still feel a little dizzy or perhaps motion sickness like when you get off a boat that you have been on a while. My head also feels a bit stressed. I dont really have any pain, just a few aches after lugging the equipment and luggage around all week.

I have had slight issues with wax in my ears in the past. I have had short term dizzy problems in the past after removal of wax from my ears. Basically some wax was removed from my ears, and it caused some dizziness for a few days as the inner ear was sensitive. Im assuming todays effects are most likely the same reason. However, the altitude seemed to effect this.?

My question is, does this sound like an inner ear issue or something worse?

Last edited:
Talk to DAN but sounds like you have some adjustment problem outside of diving. DAN can set you up with an ENT Doc if this doesn't clear up in the next couple days.

yeah I was thinking of waiting for a day or so before I go and see a doctor. I woke this morning before the flight with my ears a bit blocked. It wasnt until take off that I had any issues.

It's likely that you have some middle ear barotrauma from inadequate clearing during your dives. The area around your ear drum is slightly swollen and the space behind your ear drum (the middle ear) is partly filled with fluid. The tipoff is if sounds in that ear are slightly off, as if you were in a tunnel.

With the swelling, clearing during your flight was more difficult, and with only one ear affected, the assymetry could make you slightly dizzy. If there's no pain, and it continues to improve on it's own, you could put off the visit to the ENT, but monitor it carefully, and if it doesn't improve visit an ENT and have it checked.

Last edited:
I actually went to the doctor last week, the day after I posted this. It was found that I had a lot of wax in my ears :D The wax had some liquid/water in it and I think this might have been causing the balance problems or for me to not be able to equalize properly when I was flying.

Everything is ok now, i have another appointment for a check.

Back
Top Bottom