Scubapro Glide Plus vs Seaquest Pro QD+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_kuang

Reaction score
My LDS is trying to convince me that the Glide plus is a better choice than the Seaquest Pro QD+. I tried the Glide plus on and liked it and was wondering if anybody who has used it could share their opinions.

Both companies have a good reputation.

I have the SeaQuest ProQD and am happy with it. Looking at the Scubapro website it looks like the Glide Plus is very similar in features, including lift capacities.

I'd pick the one that fits you better. Ideally, you would take each BC for a test dive. Lacking that, at least try them on in the shop. Blow up the bladder to check for squeeze. Mount a tank to see if the jacket fits good enough to keep the tank stable as you do a mini hula dance.

Charlie

the_kuang once bubbled...
My LDS is trying to convince me that the Glide plus is a better choice than the Seaquest Pro QD+. I tried the Glide plus on and liked it and was wondering if anybody who has used it could share their opinions.

In this area it truly is what fits and what is comfortable you. In my personal opinion the Scubapro is a far better BC but I will freely admit to you now that I am biased towards Scubapro in almost every regard (except in the area of dive computers.)

I personally feel that Scubapro's integrated weight system is a more secure design that Seaquest's and they are very easy to reload while in the water. However, some divers have trouble releasing the weight pockets in one easy motion. This is particularly true with women and people with smaller hands. I don't have huge hands but I have not run into any problems with my Classic Plus or Knighthawk. I really like Scubapro's tank buckle system. It is EXTREMELY secure and very ease to use. I would take a stainless steel buckle over a cheap plastic one any day.

I recently dove with a guy who had a Pro QD that he from the shop where he took lessons. He was having trouble with his inflator and I let him dive a Glide Plus. He liked the Glide Plus a lot and regrets getting the Pro QD. Although what might work for him may not work for you so take this for what it's worth.

If you plan on buying the Pro QD from a shop ask to dive it and the Glide Plus and see which one works better for you.

I have a glide plus and like it very much. It's very comfortable and study too. If you're not used to integrated weights, you need to try out the releases but it's a pretty simple concept. They're placed on the bc in a position so the motion is fluid and natural. The bc is quite heavy though. You'll notice that while cleaning it. I usually hang it by one of the d-rings along the bottom when I'm cleaning the bladder. Oh yeah, you'll have to make sure to clean that bladder well becuse the pull vents allow quite a bit of water to enter the bc. I thinks it's a good buy. I'd get another one.

Are there any places where you can buy the Glide Plus BD for under the $520 MSRP?

I don't think Leisure Pro carries it. The only Scubapro BCD I know of that they carry is the Classic Plus.

If the shop who is trying to sell it to you allows you to try it before you buy it PLEASE purchase it from them if you want a Glide Plus. See if they can cut you any kind of break. Most places have reasonable people working for them and are not trying to drive away a sale. Of course there are exceptions to this.

I agree with you. If they let me try it and could offer a somewhat reasonable price then I'd buy it from the LDS to show support. I'm somewhat of a new diver and my question is this: I've heard several peope mention the possibility of trying gear before buying it -- how to you ask? Is it as simple as "can I try it out before buying it?

I'm somewhat of a new diver and my question is this: I've heard several peope mention the possibility of trying gear before buying it -- how to you ask? Is it as simple as "can I try it out before buying it?

Yes. Dive shop guys are rarely mind readers and you have to ask. :D

Sometimes they will have the item in rental, sometimes they have a pool onsite for you to try it out.

The dive shop can't repeatedly lend out a BC and still expect to sell it as a new item, so you might get an answer along the lines of "go ahead and buy it, try it for a dive or two, if you really don't like it, bring it back in good condition for a refund".

Charlie

I agree with you. If they let me try it and could offer a somewhat reasonable price then I'd buy it from the LDS to show support. I'm somewhat of a new diver and my question is this: I've heard several peope mention the possibility of trying gear before buying it -- how to you ask? Is it as simple as "can I try it out before buying it?

Just ask them if they would mind if you tried it out first. Most places will agree right off the bat. Trying it in openwater would be preferential but the pool will suffice. A BCD is a major investment and most people understand that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom