BC for advancing diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saturated

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like opinions on the best suited bc for a young diver that aspires to grow into a tech diver. It's for my son's b-day and cant quite decide. Thinking about dive-rite rig. I just want something somewhat modular so that it is not a throw away as he advances in training and skills.

The consensus, as much of one you'll get, is probably going to be to get a backplate with webbing harness and a Halcyon wing.

Never grow out of it. Might have to get a new wing to go into doubles diving, or another backplate for warm water, but the harness and gear config will remain the same.

BP (BackPlate), wing & STA (Single Tank Adapter). If you want one stop shopping you can get an entire Halcyon kit (SS BP, 27 or 36 Pioneer wing and an STA from Brownie's in Ft. Lauderdale (http://www.browniedive.com/), Extreme Exposure in High Springs (http://www.extreme-exposure.com/) or Lloyd Bailey's (http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/) in Gainsville.

For two stop shopping I'd get a BP, harness and STA from FredT (he's in this board under that name) and a Halcyon Pioneer Wing.

Roak

lal7176 once bubbled...

Oops my bad, i read your post to quickly :D But i do agree with what you said about the bp.

Mine is sitting in the basement... the new drysuit just got shipped from Dan's and will be here next Friday, so I'll get it wet next Saturday. They feel great on land, but I don't feel right telling someone to buy something when I haven't dived it yet :D

jonnythan once bubbled...
Never grow out of it. Might have to get a new wing to go into doubles diving, or another backplate for warm water, but the harness and gear config will remain the same.

I always wondered how this doesn't constitute buying a whole new rig? If you replace the wing for doubles, and the bp for warm water, there isn't a helluva lot left. :eek:ut:

It's kind of what I'm facing now. I've got the SS BP and a single and doubles wing. Depending on whether or not I decide the SS BP is too much weight, I may decide to get an aluminum plate as well.

At that point, does it really make sense not to just buy the extra webbing and hardware and have two complete rigs?

Doof once bubbled...

I always wondered how this doesn't constitute buying a whole new rig? If you replace the wing for doubles, and the bp for warm water, there isn't a helluva lot left. :eek:ut:

It's kind of what I'm facing now. I've got the SS BP and a single and doubles wing. Depending on whether or not I decide the SS BP is too much weight, I may decide to get an aluminum plate as well.

At that point, does it really make sense not to just buy the extra webbing and hardware and have two complete rigs?

That's exactly what I did. Now I have two perfect rigs for 2 different diving scenarios.

detroit diver once bubbled...

That's exactly what I did. Now I have two perfect rigs for 2 different diving scenarios.

And you have two rigs with identical harnesses and identical inflator mechanisms, right?

It's the same.. metaphysically. You might have two rigs, but if the only difference is maybe plate material, the wing, and perhaps an STA, you're golden. Makes things so much easier, I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom