Is this a good deal? *Used gear from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ngomi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm in the process of purchasing some gear :).

I did my OW dive with a Knighthawk from the LDS and it seemed to work well. The shop has a special going where I get

Price $700
Used Knighthawk BCD w/ Air2
Used regulator probably MK25/GV250
Used air gauges

Should I bite the bullet and purchase this? I'm limited on money so the cheapest route would be best! Thanks for all your input.

Ngomi

It sounds like a good deal, however, what kind of condition is the gear in?

CLOSELY look it over, is the BC tearing anywhere? are the hoses dry rotting or worn excessively? what kind of warranty will they offer you on this equipment, if any?

I did a quick pricing of a new BCD, Regs and Air2, came to about 1000 online with out gauges. . .

Does your LDS do anytype of rent to own program? where when you rent equipment all or part of that money can be put towards buying gear from the shop? Some shops do this, others don't. . .

JMHO

Knighthawk BCD @ LP - $399

Air2 @ LP - $125
MK25/GV250 @ LP - $425
air gauges @ LP - $95

To buy all that new at Leisure Pro would run you about $1044 . (they didn't have any SP gauges so just used a $95 Tusa set for comparison.)

so $700 isn't bad, but isn't "oh my god" great either... but find out what kind of warranty the shop will give you. LP doesn't have manufacturer warranty, but they have their store warranty.

I personally think that most used scuba items aren't worth half of what they were new. especially regulators because you loose the 'free parts warranty' and you just don't know where it's been, etc.

for example, the used gear your shop has could have been their 'abused rental gear' for two years and be worn out.

Rather than comparing the price against an Internet seller which will obviously make the deal look less appealing, make a more realistic comparison. Compare the offered price against what the shop sells the stuff new for. My LDS usually has specials, sales, and discounts for students, club members, etc.

Besides price, ask about and compare the warranty they will provide on the used gear vs new. Will they service the stuff at the same cost as new items (probably so, but I would ask)?

I went to the dive shop to take a look at the used gear. Man was it horrible! The BCD had been used for 3.5 years, the first layer was torn or warn off on the straps. Then they had to Atomic regulator, which was so worn that you couldn't even see what brand or make it was. She upped the price to $850 if I wanted a "newer" BCD which was only used for 2 years. I think I will just shop online. Thanks for the help guys!

glad you didn't get screwed on that gear purchase.

it's amazing how some LDS's think so "proudly" of their junk gear.

James R:
Rather than comparing the price against an Internet seller

The reason I gave LP as a comparison is that I often see LDS's selling their "rental gear" that has been well ABUSED in the pool, as training gear, and as rental gear and not properly maintained (to the standards that most of us would maintain our gear) for prices that are about the same as buying it new from cheaper places like LP.

yeah LP might not have a manufacturer warranty, but used rental gear won't either and it'll be worn out and chlorine faded.

but it's a good price comparison to know whether or not you're getting screwed from your LDS.

The reason I gave LP as a comparison is that I often see LDS's selling their "rental gear" that has been well ABUSED in the pool, as training gear, and as rental gear and not properly maintained (to the standards that most of us would maintain our gear) for prices that are about the same as buying it new from cheaper places like LP.

yeah LP might not have a manufacturer warranty, but used rental gear won't either and it'll be worn out and chlorine faded.

but it's a good price comparison to know whether or not you're getting screwed from your LDS.

Mike, I get where you're coming from and I completely agree that if you're going to get gear without any warranty, it sure as you know what should be NEW given such a close price! No way I'd buy used/rental gear at that price with zero warranty.

While you've already made your decision, I thought I would offer a comparison with what our LDS sells their used gear for.

My wife bought a former rental weight-integrated BC. The biggest signs of it having been used are a bit of pulling on the soft side of the velcro, and the residual markings from the dive shop. Other than that, it looks almost new. We paid $75 for it. We each bought a regulator set, which included first stage, primary and secondary second stages, and inflator hoses - $100 each. I bought a console to attach to my regulator that included the SPG, a Suunto Gekko with new battery and owner's manual, the Suunto compass, and the high pressure hose. All of it is in very nice condition, and cost $200. All told, we walked away with a BC, two regulator sets, and computer with console for under $500.

Our LDS appears to take very good care of their rental gear, and also appears to rotate it to the "used gear sale" while it's still in good condition.

Looks like another perfect candidate for a BP/W ;-) do a search online and decide for yourself but I'm sure it will be cheaper new then that used stuff. T

If you have an offer to buy a set of gear, never compare the offer with what an LDS retails it for. They are all over the place, usually very high. Compare it with what you can buy the gear for over the internet, which is more realistic. If the gear is used, don't even do that. Go to Ebay and see what it is selling for used.

Back
Top Bottom