Diving natural bottom / reefs in PCB area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone out there know of any charter boats that go to natural bottom reefs/ledges in the PCB area? While I could dive the PCB area every day for a month and do a different dive on a different wreck, I once had a Captain suggest that he really likes to put divers on natural bottom limestone reefs/ledges and I was wondering if this is common and how to seek out this kind of dive.

Also, what kind of profiles would this dive be? Is this something to try out at least once?

I'm planning on spending a week in PCB starting ~June 6th and I'm trying to plan out my dives. So far all I have planned are a few shore dives at the St. Andrews jetties since we'll be camping at the state park. I'm hoping to get a chance to "learn" to spearfish too, but being a new spearo without a dive buddy is a bit difficult.

Hoping for warm temps & good viz by June!

Most dive boats in the area run to the same wrecks. Most divers seem to prefer that type of dive. There are areas of natural bottom. During the last ice age before Al Gore invented the internet sea levels were as much as 430 feet lower than today. The ancient sea stands here and there form natural ledges with undercuts, ridges, knobs. Most are fairly low profile and may be covered with corals and fans and sponges. Most are fairly small and discontinuous and may cover with the shifting sands and uncover at another time. Depths are typically 80 feet, but some are in 60 feet and there is another line at 100/120 and another at 180/240 more or less. There are also a few sinkholes and even a few springs but not so much in the PCB area. N

You could check with Capt. Pat Green,he runs charters in the area. He is a scuba board member.

Destin is supposed to have natural reef bottom relatively close to shore. Nemrod hit the nail on the head when he mentioned shifting sands and low profile. I think many captains are not ready to risk a "bad" dive by putting a boat on a reef that has been covered with the fickle sands of the Northern Gulf.

The Dive Locker does spear fishing trips on the limestone reefs. Usually mainly for the employees, but I doubt Tony will turn down a paying customer. They also do spear fishing lessons if you're interested.

Also, Capt John Royer (owner of the Chickaboom) will take you to the limestone ledges. (850-866-3237)

Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Destin, PCB, all have natural bottom sites available. Some of the reefs are pretty deep, like the Trysler Grounds at 130' or so, pretty deep for some coral :)

Thing is that many people closely guard their natural bottom numbers (not sure that came out right) and therefore there is a certain secretiveness to this whole question. N

Does anyone out there know of any charter boats that go to natural bottom reefs/ledges in the PCB area? While I could dive the PCB area every day for a month and do a different dive on a different wreck, I once had a Captain suggest that he really likes to put divers on natural bottom limestone reefs/ledges and I was wondering if this is common and how to seek out this kind of dive.

Also, what kind of profiles would this dive be? Is this something to try out at least once?

I'm planning on spending a week in PCB starting ~June 6th and I'm trying to plan out my dives. So far all I have planned are a few shore dives at the St. Andrews jetties since we'll be camping at the state park. I'm hoping to get a chance to "learn" to spearfish too, but being a new spearo without a dive buddy is a bit difficult.

Hoping for warm temps & good viz by June!

There is all kinds of hard bottom here in PCB, but you have to know where to find it. The majority of it is all west of the St. Andrews Pass. Takes about 20 - 30 minutes out of the pass heading west and south. I always like to aim for the Tarpon and then do a 1-2 mile radius around her finding new spots.

If you want to charter a trip, then call Pat Green at 850-624-2084. He runs a 1st rate dive charter business here and he can put you on some great numbers. Tell him you skill level and he will be more than happy to help you out.

Rodman

Damn Rodman, long time no see bud!

I've dove a set of natural rocks/ledges in Destin. I can't remember the name of it, but it was maybe 4-6 miles out. (close enough that ScubaTech would run to it).

While it wasn't super exciting as some of the tropical locations, it was a good dive site....

I'll see if I can look it up when I get home and figure out the name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom