Nice trip aboard the Emperor Fleet's "Infinity" >>>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our shop from NJ took 24 divers to Egypt and the Red Sea a few weeks ago, chartering two of Emperor Divers "Gold" level boats: the Infinity and the Superior. With only 12 divers on each boat we had plenty of room, more than usual on boats this large.

Food was plentiful, and pretty good for the most part. (Quality was fine, some of the selections weren't my favorite but I'm a pretty picky eater.)

Some folks didn't care for diving from the zodiaks (more precisely, re-entering the zodiaks after the dive) but I didn't think it was a big deal. Though if you are very large, very weak, or generally out of shape I can see how it could be a problem. I'd say less than half the dives were from the zodiaks, as required by some of the dive sites that the big boat can't get into/out of.

Crew couldn't have been more attentive. I think there were 12 people working the boat, between galley, boat mates, dive deck hands, dive guides, etc.

Diving was good and varied. We did the "Famous Five" itinerary, but we ended up not going down to The Brothers because is was too windy to make the 12hr overnight trek from Ras Mohammed all the way down. Thistlegorm was great - reminded me of NJ diving: dark, low viz, and ripping current, at least on one of the dives. My favorite dives were "Shark and Yolanda" reefs and the Carnatic wreck. The Dunraven was cool too.

Before boarding the liveaboard we also did a week of land tours (Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, etc) as well as a 3 day Nile cruise. After the liveaboard we did another day touring Old Cairo and then three days in Alexandria, where we dove Cleopatra's Palace and an Italian bomber from WWII in the Mediterranean.

Was a busy three weeks or so, but worth it.

And how was your diving in Alex?

Memorable for the experience of diving among granite columns and sphinx's, etc that are thousands of years old, but not great diving per se.

I wouldn't recommend going there to dive, but I would recommend that you dive there if you go.

:D

Back
Top Bottom