Interchangability of Ikelite trays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this must have been addressed here before, but as I can't find it, here goes.. I have an Olympus C5050 in an Ikelite case with the dual handled tray, and am contemplating upgrading to a Canon G10 with the appropriate Ikelite case. My question is- will the new Ikelite case fit the dual handled tray from my old rig? It looks like it will, but I thought I had better ask.
Also, I have a question about the attaching screws that hold the tray to the case. When I replaced my old tray with the new dual handled tray, I tried to remove the attaching screws under the tray. The outer nuts are supposed to come off, releasing the tray from the box. Unfortunately, the nuts were so tight that the entire screw assembly broke free and came out of the box instead. I was readily able to disassemble the things once they were clear of the box, and they screwed back in without difficulty, but I was nervous about the seal for awhile {as the hole is bored right through the box to the interior} until the box proved itself. Is this a common problem? And what do you recommend to reseal the screws in the box if this happens again? Many thanks for your help. Woody

Yes, the dual tray handle can be used on the G10 housing.

In normal use the removal of the nuts should not cause the housing's tray mounting bolts to unthread. However, if the tray is left attached to the housing for extended periods of time after repeated saltwater use there could certainly be issues with them seizing up.

All you need to do if this happens is retighten them snugly and then give an extra 1/4-turn as necessary to align the flats of the bolts horizontally. You can see the seal through the inside of the case, which should be a fairly thick black line. Unless you have access to a tank for water pressure testing (or you send it in), your first time using you should take it to depth without a camera installed just to be sure.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom