Oriskany Dive Report -- Saturday, May 9th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's been a while since I've been to the Oriskany, but last Saturday I got the chance to take a couple of Advanced students to the Mighty O for their "deep" and "boat" dives onboard Captain Douglas Hammock's 36' Newton -- the H2O Below. Seas were running about 3 to 4 but not real close. Fortunately, the big Newton loaded with divers takes the waves very well. We had a couple of chummers, but most everyone made the trip just fine.

There's still a green layer on the surface from all the midwestern rain that's come down the Mississippi and Mobile Bay. This made sighting the sub-surface bouy difficult, but Captain Douglas pulled the boat right over the numbers and the dive master rolled and tied us in with no problem. The current was ripping on the surface, but completely dissipated about 20 feet down as did the green layer. Under the surface layer, the water became crystal clear with nearly no current, but sunlight was reduced giving the Orkisany an errie feeling. The H2O Below crew placed a memorial wreath on the Oriskany and filmed the ceremony for the Oriskany veterans. The veterans had a reunion in Pensacola a couple weeks ago and were going to take the wreath out and drop it in the water, but seas were too rough to get them out. Captain Douglas and the crew of the H2O Below told them they would take it out and place it on the ship which they did on this trip. It gave a special significance to the dive.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the dive and my advanced students did a great job. It was good to back on the Big O.

How's the water temp up there? We're diving the Oriskany in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the report Rich!

You're welcome, bug. Stop in the store sometime and say hello. Haven't seen you in a while.

How's the water temp up there? We're diving the Oriskany in a couple of weeks.

I wore a 3 mm wetsuit and was fine the first dive, but did get just a little chilled on the second. As bugman said, its about 70ish on the surface and mid-60s at depth. It's warming up fast and will probably be a couple degrees warmer by the time you guys arrive. If you're doing some deco dives, you will definitely want something a little warmer.

Yeah, we're planning some long rebreather dives with some significant deco so I'll stick with the drysuit at least for the first day. I don't think it will be too warm.

I finally put up the dry suit and went into the 5 m. I was toasty warm the whole day. And when we got back to the surface the sun was beautiful. It was a great day on the water.

H2O Below should be running trips Wednesday - Sunday this week. Come on out.

Back
Top Bottom