Spree (Memorial Weekend) Anyone Else Going / Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharchar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

First post and first Liveaboard dive trip.
I was looking for a long weekend dive vacation. Didn't want to commit to a full week, just in case I didn't like it (probably NOT a problem). So we booked with the Spree for May 22- 25.

Has anyone else gone with them? How's the Dry Tortugas as a dive destination?
DH and I are OW and Nitrox certified and usually dive in Key Largo and have gone to Bonaire. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Copied down all the tips and hints I could find.

Please let me know if you have any info. TIA
I will report back after the trip.
Can't wait :D

Sharon

Anxious to know how was your trip aboard the Spree? Tortugas looks like a neat destination. Of the several liveaboards serving this site, how did you select? thanks, Marion

We had a great time!
Had a slight touch of sea sickness....Bonine is my Friend....will now pre-medicate on any and ALL future trips.

I was looking for a shorter (less than a full week) just in case I didn't love the liveaboard experience. Preferred Memorial weekend and it looked like the Spree wouldn't be at max capacity, so I jumped at the opportunity.
I got their brochure at Beneath the Sea 2009 in NJ along with a handful of others.
Was looking for a liveaboard that fit my budget and easy to get to (we flew into FLL). We usually dive in Key Largo and Dry Tortugas seemed like a good match.

I was a little concerned about the bunk beds and sharing a room / bathrooms, but I was there to dive. The Spree can accommodate up to 24 guests and has 8 crew. This trip had only 12 passengers, so we had our own cabin. 4 Cabins have 4 bunks and the rest of the bunks are in the common (below deck) area. All bunks have privacy curtains and each cabin has it's own curtain. Not much time is spent in the rooms, except to sleep anyway, so no problem there. I brought earplugs for snorers and engine noise. Worked for me. The salon is comfortable and there is plenty of room on the sundeck.

Crew was great, very knowledgeable and food was really good and plentiful. Other guests were mostly experienced divers and fun to be with. A good sense of humor is the best thing to bring along.

We met the crew and other passengers for supper the night before we started diving. Went back to the boat to board and have the briefing. Got comfortable and woke at the first dive site in the morning.

Days were usually:
Wake up at 7am, continental breakfast, dive at 8am, full breakfast, dive at 11, lunch, new dive site, dive at 2, snack, dive at 5, supper, night dive after 8pm, desert, sleep repeat ;-)

We did a tour Ft Jefferson instead of the first afternoon dive on Friday. Seas were a little choppy, so I was glad to be on solid ground.

The Spree website has lots of information and pictures of the boat and the Dry Tortugas. spreeexpeditions.com

Harry was our trip leader from the the dive shop, Just Add Water, and he posted a trip report to their blog site justaddwaterscuba.blogspot.com

I am now officially addicted to liveaboard diving and hope to go back on the Spree as soon as I can.

Sharon

I'm not sure if the links will go through since I haven't posted often. If not send me a PM if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom