Thoughts on Dive computers especially Oceanic Datamask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustybatey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been evaluating some new computers lately and I wanted to see how many people are diving with the Oceanic Datamask and get some "real people" reviews.

I love the idea of the Heads Up Dislpay but there must be some drawbacks besides the cost.

Anyone out there using it?

here is a link to to a video testimonial from some scuba magazine folks

YouTube - Oceanic SCUBA - DataMask

I used one on two demo dives so my perceptions are based on very limited experience.

I found that the display blocks a substantial portion of the lower right visual field and that in general the mask is high volume with a fairly deep skirt and a fairly narrow field of view. It is also heavy and the computer interface, while not excessively hard to use, is not as intuitive as most current computers.

I think the SPG and deco information would have been nice to have on many of the zero viz non-surface supplied inland commerical dives I have done, but for recreational diving it has no appeal for me. In my opinion it is way over priced for a single gas nitrox computer and in its present iteration it forces a compromise in both mask and computer for most divers.

If Oceanic were to develop the computer as a trimix computer, where a $1200 price tag does not induce the same degree of sticker shock and where it may find a larger market and/or integrate the display with O2 loop monitoring for a rebreather (similar to the Uwatec Oxy2/Air Z approach, it would have more appeal. As it is it is a neat toy and a great way to indulge in conspicuous consumption (it would go great with a titanium reg) but fills a need that does not really exist and at present falls short of what it could potentially offer.

Hollis (pretty much literally the child of Oceanic) sells the data mask integrated in to the Kirby-Morgan M48 Supermask, but it is again also badly over priced.

To be fair, the Oceanic rep response to my comments was that an upgrade of the deco software is a future possibility and that it seems to take most divers 5 or 6 dives to get used to the mask.

From what I can tell, this DataMask only comes in one size. That's a disadvantage right there if your face doesn't fit the mask.

I've lost too many masks to consider one with four digits left of the decimal on the price tag.

I have been in the water with one (a demo), it is a fun toy but personally I like actual GUAGES in my gauges.

You could buy a basic AI computer and still have PLENTY of money left over to buy a really nice reg set.... me, I would rather have the best regulators I could get than the best toy I could buy... because I will be using the regs for YEARS after the mask is in the trash.

I don't know what kind of diving you normally do, but over here in socal, we deal with surf....where you deal with surf, you deal with masks getting ripped off your face. It's bad enough when a $60 mask gets donated to the ocean, but when it's a $1000+ mask....I can't even imagine!

The most important thing about a mask is fit. I have tried on probably 100 masks to find only a few that fit well (out of water....one that works well for me underwater so far). There is no need to buy an ill-fitting mask just because it has a cool feature.

Agree w/ the comments above - love oceanic (used for years; dive the console) but the mask/combo has too many limitations vs price.

In fairness, I tried one on at the store; had a full demo some months back - even if it were not so expensive, it would not be a product I would be interested in.

Of course, YMMV

I have the Aeris datamask (same mask, different name). I actually used the Oceanic version as well. I love my mask. I have had it for just under a year. It is nice to have all of the information that I may need during a dive at a glance. Especially depth. When diving in low vis situations, I can tell exactly how deep I am by just glancing to the right. It does take some getting used to with regard to the screen obstructing a portion of your view. For me it is a minor inconvenience. I have not taken it into a cave yet but I see no issue with it. As a matter of fact, I think it might actually be handy to have all that info at a glance instead of having to reach for and unclip gauges. While this may be unconventional to tech divers (I am a cave diver), it can make a dive more enjoyable if used with the appropriate redundancy. I also dive with an analog pressure gauge attached and a bottom timer and depth gauge (watch) on my wrist. Instead of subtracting gear from my rig, I just added a transmitter. If the battery in the mask dies or the battery compartment floods (which did happen to me on an OW dive), then I still have everything I need to complete the dive. My 1st stage has 2 HP ports so it's convenient for me. Be aware that there is a battery in both the transmitter and mask itself that are potential failure points.

I understand and respect the arguments regarding equipment failure. I don't feel that adding a transmitter places me at a greater risk when I have appropriate back up gear that I already use. The convenience of having the data available at a glance is what sold me on the mask. I am glad that I bought mine and would certainly do it again.

What a complete waste of money.

Okay, now for a pro datmask response. I have one. I love it. My wife gave it to me because I could no longer see the little numbers on my wrist computer and couldn't see the numbers on the SPG. I knew where the needle was pointing and what that meant, but couldn't see the numbers. Yes I know that a prescription mask would have probably solved the problem, but my wife and I have nooooo problem buying dive gear.

I haven't found the weight to be any detrement, don't even notice it. I havn't had any problem with the display blocking any of the field, or that the field is too narrow. I spearfish and havn't had any problems spotting any fish.

I read manuals, so I didn't have any problem with computer interface. The downloading of data has been a bit annoying, the connection of the download cable can be tricky, I've had to hold it in place until the download is complete. But that hasn't been too much of a problem, I tend to wait until I get a few dives in between downloads.

In fact the best part is that it's "hands off". I don't have to reach down and look at my SPG, nor pull my hand up to see the computer. It's all there just a little down to the right, a simple roll of the eyes and there is the data. Both hands are free. Makes ascents almost too easy.

I've rarely do beach dives so the surf is not a problem. In quite a few years of diving, I've never lost a mask, so I'm not really worried about losing this one.

Oceanic had the technician at the LDS change out the corrosion prone batterycover bolts. I normally do all my own maintenance but decided that at the cost of the mask I wasn't going to take a chance on negating the warrentee. He managed to pinch the orings on both mine and my wifes. One mask was repaired and the other replaced at no cost to me.

I know alot of people have stated that this mask is a solution looking for a problem. I don't agree, it is just someone finally using some logic and putting a display where you can see it.

I love my Datamask. Both my wife and I have one. The only problems, the download/interface cable, and of course the cost. Oh boy, the cost.

Oh yeah, I've also finally broke down and had prescription lenses put in. I can see everything. Sucks getting old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom