Dive Boat "pros"~ what is their role?

Your paid dive buddy~ who are they?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
An ongoing topic, and spawned from a now-locked thread...

You pay to go diving on a boat, whether it is a day boat on a Saturday near home or at an AI Resort for the week... who goes along on the ride that you're paying to go on?

There is a boat driver, maybe some deck hands, but who is that person that jumps in the water with you... most of us call him the Divemaster.

There is no real requirement for any specific certification of that "dive guide", many places may not even put an employee in the water at all. Sometimes you'll get a brilliantly capable local that has never had formal dive training. You may get a guy that has a string of c-cards and patches that can't find his foot.

Take the poll, but add your thoughts.

What do you expect?

- Someone always stationed and remaining aboard the moored boat ?

- Assistance with your tank or re-baoarding ?

- That the staffer in the water be a certified DM?

- That the staffer be watching for any signs of trouble you might have?

- That the staff diver point out cool stuff?

What do you expect out of a dive-along employee?

State the locale you are referencing, day boat operation or multi-day place.

I voted that I want the boat crew to be equipped and able to deal with any emergency (provide CPR, oxygen, etc) and that I did not want a someone in the water showing me critters and such. However, I feel that your poll is missing something. I want a dive briefing, but I don't need sketches or for them to plan my dive.

What I want from a DM or boat crew is for them to be prepared to deal with accidents, and I want a good site briefing. I want to know what the max depth is, I'd like to know if bottom contour is flat or if a multi-level dive is possible (though that's not necessarily required)....but I don't want someone planning my dive for me. I know my consumption, I know my rock bottom, I know my no-stop time for the gas I'm using....I know how to plan my dive and don't need someone doing it for me unless I ask for some advice.

I don't want a baby sitter....I don't want a DM to check my air, keep track of my depth, and I don't need anyone pointing out critters....but if I have to have a DM diving with me (like in some tropical locations), then feel free point out the neat critters, but don't hold my hand.

I'm of the mind-set that if you're a certified diver, you should be able to plan your own dive and keep yourself safe. If you can't do that, then your training wasn't sufficient and you need to figure out how to fix that (FWIW, when I was first certified, I wasn't ready to plan my own dives and go off and do them....my training wasn't sufficient and I fully admit that. I have since fixed that issue and am plenty capable of diving without a guide or DM....though I insist on diving with a like-minded buddy).

The role of a DM, imo, is not to hold your hand and keep you from doing dumb things. Their role is to relay the pertinent information to you and let you do your thing.

Sorry, I didn't answer with any of your options. I think they are all good, but none of them are necessary to have a good, safe, enjoyable dive, and a good value, too. In my book, the only thing I expect every time is that the person I'm paying be up-front and clear with me from the beginning what I'm getting for my money. Sometimes it could be just a boat ride. Sometimes it could be the full deal including almost everything you listed.

I usually gravitate more toward the local, low-key, off-the-radar dive guides where the whole deal is negotiated ad-hoc before you go. Sometimes, with the language barrier, there's really no chance to go into very much detail about what I'm going to get; it's a gamble. But if I'm paying full price I expect them to show me the radio and the oxygen unit, and give a comprehensive, detailed brief.

But if you're asking what to I EXPECT? I usually expect very little so there's less chance I'll be disappointed.

I call the "boat pro" a DM, whether they're actually captains, rescue divers, etc. I expect them to be versed in emergency procedures (including administering O2, working the radio, operating the boat, recalling divers, etc), able to help with basic first aid (stings/cuts/scrapes, smashed toes, etc).

I expect them to be able to guide loading and unloading the boat in a safe manner (and if they want to haul my tank onboard I won't object). On local wrecks I expect the DM to be able to secure the anchor line and signal "pools open", as well as to remove the hook when it's time to go.

I expect the DM and captain to keep track of the number of divers in the water, to not leave me behind, and to watch out for divers who come up off the line for any reason.

If I'm not familiar with local conditions or a site I'd like the DM to advise me of any special conditions or procedures I should be aware of, at the very least they should be able to brief on boat procedures including entry/exit.

There are lots of things that would be a nice bonus: help finding an appropriate buddy if required, offers of help gearing up or breaking down (locally only -- drysuits and heavy tanks, and this doesn't mean setting up my gear or touching my tanks, though it doesn't tick me off if a DM discretely checks my valve as it seems to some here), setting out snacks or drinks, chatting during the ride out, friendly enforcement of game laws, ability to help with quick repiars, etc, but I wouldn't say any of those things are expected.

Wow, and we only tip $5-10/tank for all that!

I do not expect the DM to be in the water with me. If he or she is in the water with me, I do not expect them to be my buddy unless we've specifically agreed to buddy up beforehand, I do not expect them to point out critters or features, navigate for me, plan or otherwise dictate my dive aside from policies or limits briefed beforehand, or to save me.

I am not really a fan of guided dives so do not expect much. Locally, DMs are not really used unless for club dives for newer divers. On the charter boats there is usually a DM but they stay on board and their role is limited to getting a dive plan off everyone, and they are generally trained in first aid/O2 administration, and overall I am pretty happy with that arrangement.

I travelled on a dive trip earlier in the year and they had one or two DMs in the water, and they just hung around the general area we were in and did not interfere at all with my diving so that was great :) And one dive I wanted to see a pineapple fish so the guide took me straight to where they live, so if I really want to see a critter I could see their use in guiding me to where they live but beyond that I want to be left alone. Generally I prefer to discover things myself (unless it is something really special) though.

When I am considering places to go, I have been checking ahead to make sure they do not require me to be babysat by a DM and that way I can avoid places that run that kind of service. I don't have a problem with charters that do this as I know many people who would prefer to dive with a DM only, but it is not how I like to dive.

Personally I like the idea of having a DM on the dive. My favorite dive shop puts a DM in the water with every group of six divers at no extra cost. Lots of divers, especially those with few dives, don't have the ability to navigate so this takes that worry off of them letting them concentrate on their buoyancy and visual stuff. It helps me a lot so that I can spend my time looking for bugs and stuff that I am interested in. Also, the DM should be able to take care of any emergency that should arise below water whereas the average diver would go frantic and not be able to take care of a life or death situation. Of course lots of divers have this macho ego thing going for them and don't like the idea but the first time that they get into trouble and a DM helps them out that should be the end of that tune.

I don't think that "guides" need to be a DM, Rescue would probably be the most I'd expect if the person was there to just "show me around the reef/wreck" if I'm not familiar with the site.

I like the places that give you the option to either follow the guide or do your own thing. You would HOPE that the person would be able to handle the boat in a pinch/emergency, as well as operate all of the emergency related gear etc...

I actually prefer to swap out my own tanks and handle my own gear. If they help me walk off the boat that's always a plus, as well as if they are there to hand my camera and or fins off when I'm returning. Other than that, if they just point out the highlights and stay out of the range of my "point and shoot" life is good!

In the BVI, dive tours are invariably guided tours. Personally I'd prefer to be dropped in the water to do my own thing, but I know the sites.

Most other places I dive, I get dropped in the water to do my own thing, but I wouldn't mind a guide to show me where I am meant to go.

I think Alanis Morisette sang a song about this.

I tried to answer this question and hit a bit of a bump. I think the answer depends entirely on your level of experience and your confidence. I've done 1000+ dives, I'm not sure I felt the same when I had 10...

I like having a guide, that way I can relax and look at for cool stuff without worrying about navigation so much. I don't need help with anything really other than the obvious buddy checks and gearing up etc but I know plenty of people who do. How is a DM supposed to know what people's expectations are, especially if they have never met previously?

I have ignored methods of getting in the water (one dive op asked me to put on my fins, walk across the boat with full gear on and try to navigate the hatch in the middle of the deck, with raised corners.... I was obviously going to go arse over *** and so jumped in and pulled my fins on in the water...). I did ask if it was ok though. They were fine with that, had a regimented DM told me no, I would have told him where to go.

I expect them to be able to deal with an emergency though- they are part of the job unfortunately and so they should be prepared. However, being good at handling emergencies in the water is often down to experience, a drill and the real thing are very different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom