Morrison Springs closed by County due to bacteria count until further notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got this....

Dear Dive Instructors, Enthusiasts and Swimmers:

Although Morrison Springs in Walton County, Florida is open this weekend (May 16 & 17), county health officials have closed the springs for diving and swimming until further notice. They have found high levels of bacteria in the water, believed to be directly related to recent heavy rains. County health officials will continue to sample the water beginning Monday, May 18. Please know that the park is open for all other recreational activities, like boating, picnicking and hiking. Please refer to the Walton County website for further updates: Walton County, FL - Home Page (then go to ªábout Us / Natural Resources / Morrison Springs). We will also post an announcement of the springs reopening as a News Flash on our home page.

Christopher Mitchell
Walton County Public Information Officer
Post Office Box 1355
DeFuniak Springs, Florida 32435
850/892-8155

I was just coming to post this same thing. So here we go again, should we start another pool on when it will be reopend?

Thanks for the update! I saw this on WTVY news at 6 last night before work. I've been diving it since 1974 and never heard of such as this before. So much for the park upgrades?
Thanks again,
Kenny P.

I saw them sampling the water a couple weeks ago when I was there on a field trip with a high school science class. I guess we will now be safe from all those harmful bugs we used to swim in .... :lotsalove: :lotsalove: :lotsalove:

This place has been nothing but a hassle lately.. Couple weeks ago they couldnt even open the gate. Said the lock was changed and nobody had the combination..I love Morrisons but they have really screwed it up.

This place has been nothing but a hassle lately.. Couple weeks ago they couldnt even open the gate. Said the lock was changed and nobody had the combination..I love Morrisons but they have really screwed it up.

Kevin,
Long history of government involvement at every level, with similar results. I know we all enjoy modern improvements but sometimes it's hard to beat mother nature. I started diving it when it was a swamp with no gate or facilities. I never liked it better than back then.
Bless,
Kenny P.

Can it still be accessed from the river via boat or kayak?

Florida has some beautiful parks and the worst rangers and employees in the entire country by far.

I too used to dive it before there was anything at all there and it was beautiful.

N

Nemrod, the boat ramp is still open according to how I read the letter in the first post. so you can put in there. but of course you're still swimming in water they say has a high bacteria count.

Nemrod, the boat ramp is still open according to how I read the letter in the first post. so you can put in there. but of course you're still swimming in water they say has a high bacteria count.

The water has the same bacteria count it did before the state parks with their agenda took over. I have dove there since like 1966 and you know what, no bacteria have killed me. This is an agenda of the nanny state. What a shame, I had planned to stop off there in mid June but if they close it every time warm weather blooms a few bacteria that place is dead as a dive site kinda like the Blue Hole at Itchetucknee, soon you guys will be closed out entirely. Shame.

So, would it still be legal to dive the spring from your own boat launched at some other access point? I used to come in with my Novurania Cancuro inflatable.

Bacteria, yawn, we are full of them, they are everywhere, on everything, in everything, everywhere, what's new.

N

Back
Top Bottom