Updating an older DS125 strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just took delivery on a new Ikelite housing for my G10 camera ( I noticed that the shutter lever is now spring loaded- nice!:kiss2:) and in the manual for it was a notice about updating Ikelite strobes. I have two DS125 strobes, one of which is newer and has the stickers in the battery compartment which identify it as not needing updating to work well with your TTL circuitry. The other one has no such sticker, and the manual says to identify it by its serial number. It has the number 11605 molded into the face of the battery compartment, but I am not sure if that is a serial number? It looks more like a part number or something. Also, I find that the battery for this unit seems to need charging much more that the one on the newer strobe, and was wondering if this can be checked to see if it is starting to go bad? Many thanks for your help. Woody

that is the serial #..serial #'s below 2500 cannot be upgraded..numbers between 2500 and 4999 can be..from ikelites web site .look under common strobe problems and click on circuitry requirements..

Anything serial number 5000 and above is good to go with the G10 housing. The number you reference (11605) is almost certainly the serial number... DS125's have numbers either stamped or lasered into the strobe head. With the battery pack removed, look for a number on the inside round face near the battery pins.

I'm going to try to put pictures illustrating serial number locations on the website sometime "soon."

I'm almost positive we stopped putting the "mod-nc" stickers on new strobes a long time ago....

We can do a load test on your battery pack if you'd like to send it in. If it's below our standards we can re-cell or replace it for a reduced price. Please be mindful that our current battery packs are NiMH which require a new style smart charger. So you should send your charger in as well if you have the old style. See:
Substrobe Chargers FAQ

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

The MOD-NC decal is an older strobe that is e/ittl compatible. The #11605 serial number strobe is between 2 and 3 years old. The 11605 strobe should have a NIMH pack and not nicad. You should be using the #4066.1 charger with the Nimh pack. Hope this info helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom