Color coded strobe sync cords?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been meaning to ask this for quite awhile, so here goes. I have the dual sync cords for my Ikelite housing and my two DS125 strobes, and I noticed that there are little colored bands on two of the three ends. The end marked with a blue band goes to the housing, and there is a red band on one of the other two ends, with nothing on the last end. These two ends, which go to the strobes, seem interchangeable, but I was wondering if the red coding on one of them has any signifigance? Woody

Per the instructions included with the sync cord, attach the red cable to the secondary strobe.

That way you can use only one strobe by turning off the one attached to the red cable.

Correct on the meaning of the red band being the secondary strobe. This would generally be either the lesser power strobe (if combining say a DS125 and a DS51) or the strobe with less battery charge remaining at the time.

The blue band is usually stamped with the part number indicating which cord it is. It also signifies a newer digital cord. Which means either more wires are connected in the case of all Ikelite ends or less wires are connected in the case of one Nikonos style end!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Back
Top Bottom