Liveaboard & Travel Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wilbur

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have found mountains of great information on this forum and have deside to do a Cay Sal trip abourd the Pilot in Late June with my wife. We have standard DAN insurance, what is the norm for travel insurance? Get it, risk it? This is our first liveaboard and we have no clue on this subject.

Thank-you for the help!

Not sure if you're asking about travel insurance or diving accident insurance. DAN is primarily diving accident insurance, tho I believe that they have another program for travel insurance. If you're getting DAN for diving, I'd suggest that you look at their Preferred Plan. Lots more coverage for a little extra $$$.

I'm not a big fan of travel insurance though a lot of folks are. I've looked into it and decided that except for an outright cancellation/severe medical situation before you leave, there are enough weasel-words in the exclusions that it would be tough to collect.

I'm sure there are many others who have a differing opinion.

As for dive insurance, IMHO never dive without it. Also look at DiveAssure which is primary coverage. DAN is secondary.

I don't buy travel insurance most of the time, for the price and probable difficulty in collecting it doesn't usually seem worth it to me. Once in awhile I will get it for a very expensive trip that seems to have higher risk than usual of something going wrong, in a situation where I wouldn't be able to recover a lot of the money.

I've used CSATravel with good results. Once I had cancel a trip twenty days before departure because of neck surgery. CSA paid every dime in full. If you are paying close to 3k for a trip with airfare, $180 in insurance is worth it for me.

I'm thinking the others who posted in this thread have never had to collect on trip insurance because for me it was not a hassle to get my money (and my wife's BTW) back at all. I provided them with a letter from my Dr., they wrote me a check. If you want hurricane coverage, that's a separate rider, but it doesn't add much - when we go in hurricane season I always get that option. You can usually find trips on liveaboards much cheaper in hurricane season and the boats are empty, even adding the cost of the insurance is usually cheaper than full price.

Anyway, that's my real-life experience with it and I'm a believer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom