X-tremescooters.com X-160

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mmm Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ordered on of these off ebay. 199.99 free shipping

X-160 DPV Sea Scooter By X-Treme For Scuba Diving & Recreational Use

It's a seadoo knockoff, but the specs look pretty good if they're true.

Mine was delivered with one of the o-rings pinched so I haven't got it wet yet.
I know alot of people have problems with these things flooding.

I'm preemptively dismantling it and resealing everything with quality silicone. It looked like it was kind thrown together by a Chinese orphan. There were several spots that were obviously not going to be water tight.

When I put it back together I'll take some pics of the innards.

On the upside, when I was packing up my gear after my dive today I noticed the person parked beside me had the exact same model. They said they loved it and they got 2 dives per charge with plenty of juice left over.

I'm just planning on using it for surface swims. I think if I can just keep it from flooding it will serve my purpose just fine.

Once I get it up and running I'll do a few simple test. Thrust, Speed1, Speed2 Time and Distance. I have a GPS attached to my dive flag so I should be able to get some pretty accurate numbers.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Yes, I've read lots of horror stories, But I like to tinker.

Most of the problems seem to be flooding. I've already torn it apart and I'm going to reseal it all myself, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

The lectics look pretty well made. It's the assembly that looks shoddy.

If it bites the dust I have enough experience with electric RC planes and helicopters I'm sure I can toss together a power train.

This place is pretty upfront about not having a warranty, and sending it off to get it fixed is cost prohibitive. They do sell parts though. Unless you're handy with this sort of thing you might want to stick with seadoo for the warranty.

I look at like this for $200 if it last through the summer I got my moneys worth.

OK, so I replaced the o-rings that were obviously the wrong size, and I resealed everything with silicone.

So I went for a test drive in my tiny little pool. I don't have anything to compare it to but, WOW! This thing can pull. I'm guessing this thing can pull more that 3MPH.

I did laps till my arms were too tired to hold on any more. Then I sat it out to dry off.

Here's the thing that concerned me. When I opened it up to charge the battery there was a spoonful or two of water in there. Not enough to hurt anything, but unexpected. I think it may have dropped in as I removed the battery lid.

Is that normal? Maybe I need way more grease there?

OK, so I replaced the o-rings that were obviously the wrong size, and I resealed everything with silicone.

So I went for a test drive in my tiny little pool. I don't have anything to compare it to but, WOW! This thing can pull. I'm guessing this thing can pull more that 3MPH.

I did laps till my arms were too tired to hold on any more. Then I sat it out to dry off.

Here's the thing that concerned me. When I opened it up to charge the battery there was a spoonful or two of water in there. Not enough to hurt anything, but unexpected. I think it may have dropped in as I removed the battery lid.

Is that normal? Maybe I need way more grease there?

If you are getting some water in your DPV during a pool test - the results in open water (under pressure) will probably not be promising. Additionally, 3 mph is a highly optimistic number.

X

Subjective "guesstimates" of speed are usually very optimistic.

At the TahoeBench Mark testing last year a SS N-19 maxed out at 2.3 mph, and the Dive X Cuda maxed out at 2.84 mph.

Home Page

3mph from a $200 Scooter? Unlikely.

Tobin

I think I know why the water got in. I was a little over zealous with the silicone and the battery lid was being pushed out, and a little water got past the first o-ring.

I'm going to test the speed this weekend with a gps receiver on my dive flag.

I did my best to test the speed today, but had a few problems.

There was a serious outbreak of tourism at the beach. So I had to dodge swimmers and jet skis and large mounds of sea weed. Got rolled by a wave a time or two, and had to stop and pull grass out of that stupid gonad guard (that thing has to go).

I did 1/8 mile down and 1/8 back. Zigg zagging the whole way so I only got 1.9MPH.:lotsalove:

I'll try to do a better test soon.
I'm also gonna try to see how much weight it will lift off the bottom of my pool.

Then my wife played with it for awhile, then we towed each other around with it.

I watched closely as I opened it up this time, and the water is definitely getting in as I open the battery lid not while it's in the water. It was less than a spoonful this time. I think I just need to be a little more liberal with the grease and it should fix that.

I think I'm going to do a couple beach dives tomorrow so I'll get to see how well it tows two fully geared divers on the surface.

I debated on getting another battery and charger, but that would be like $100.
Why do that when you can get the whole thing for as little as $135??

So far my impression is, it will do what I want it to. Tow me out on the surface on beach dives. Maybe do a little puttering around at 20ft.

If it last more than 20 dives I'll be happy.

2 beach dives today. It survived.

It WILL tow 2 fully geared divers on the surface...

For about 5min. then the voltage drops and motor cuts off.

Even after that it still pulled one of us out and back on the surface twice. That's about .8mi and still had juice left.

It's impossible to say the speed. I have a track log but we stopped and started and traded and stuff so many times it's hard to say what the avg speed was.

I would guess 1.5-1.7mph

I think I'm about ready to buy a second one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom