Dive Report: Panama City Jetties 05-16-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The West Florida Dive Club had it's May outing planned for this weekend and Wow did it ever turn out to be a gorgeous weekend for it. Hetland met me at my house at 6:00 AM we loaded up his gear and we stopped to pick up BellaBeachGirl on our way and the rest of our tail at Publix in Navarre and were on our way at about 6:45 AM. The ride went quick and we were at the Park in no time and just after the 8:00 AM opening. We secured the closest large Pavillion and set up base camp for the cookout for later.
All the help made this fly and we found ourselves done and setup with plenty of time so we all headed down for some snorkeling. The water temp was fantastic and the viz was too. We goofed around in the Kiddie pool and near the exit to the channel for a good hour before we headed back up to set up for our first of two dives.
Most of the crew had already shown up and we had a few trickle in a bit late and we ended up starting our dive briefing a bit later than expected. We had a quick breifing and before long we were all headed toward the water. The whole group splashed at about 11:22 AM and most of us made our way to the right and toward the deeper water and the gulf. The particlualte wasn't bad at all and I had the viz at around 25-30 feet.....WOW! This was going to be some great diving. I stuck with JHayes who had driven over from LA with his family and Hetland as we slowly made our way taking pictures as we went. One of the group pointed out a great find an Ocellated Frog Fish which had not doen a very good job of blending into its background.....A great find and some awesome pictures (See below). We slowly made our way down the slope to what I logged as 67 feet before turning and heading back. We saw just a ton of life and I've attached a few pictures below (More are in my Photobucket under this dive heading/date).
I ended the first dive with a max depth of 67 feet for 49 minutes and the min temp....... 79* ! Oh do I love summer time!!! I dove in just my .5 mm wetsuit and was comfortable the whole dive.

We had planned to cook between dives but due to the approaching tide we decided to turn around relatively quickly and hit it again before the high tide caught us. We changed tanks and splashed again after a one hour surface interval at 1:14 PM. We headed right down the same route but stayed a bit higher up most of this dive and again took our time and snapped pics the whole way. I think I ended up with 240 pictures in the two dives and snorkel of which about 150 were worth keeping. The second dive was just as awesome as the first with great viz and awesome temps. This dive I recorded a min temp. 79* and a max depth of 66 feet for 72 minutes. We all then spent a couple of hours debriefing, looking at pics and enjoying each others company and the retell of my Shark Encounter, while we ate Hotdogs and Hamburgers courtesy of the WFDC (West Florida Dive Club). It was an AWESOME day of diving and I really enjoyed the company as much as the diving. Here are a few pics:

Slippery Dick Wrasse:
P5163294.jpg

Blue Angelfish:
P5163318.jpg

Filefish:
P5163344.jpg

Damsel Fish:
P5163352.jpg

Toadfish:
P5163356.jpg

Ocellated Frogfish:
P5163371.jpg

Ocellated Frogfish Closeup (See the small lure on top of his head?)
P5163372.jpg

Stareye Hermit Crab:
P5163388.jpg

Cowfish:
P5163396.jpg

Cubbyu:
P5163391.jpg

Seaweed Blenny:
P5163404.jpg

Cocoa Damselfish:
P5163435.jpg

Jackknife fish:
P5163447.jpg

Striped Burrfish:
P5163455.jpg

Veriegated Urchin:
P5163461.jpg

Pigfish:
P5163480.jpg

Sorry that I missed it, looks it could not have been any better! I'm glad ya'll got out and got to get wet before this week of bad weather.

Great pictures as usual Barry!

Todd

Great report and nice pictures Barry! Looks like it was some awesome diving, can't ask for much more than that. Diving and hanging out with friends, always makes for a good day.

It's good to see the club really kicking into high gear, and getting things rolling.

C.T.

I second XRay's report. A great bunch of diving, food and fellowship.

XRay: Love the angle on that Slippery Dick Wrasse, you really got some great colors on that shot! I'll add my photos later today.

-ap

What great shots! Y'all had wonder filled dives indeed!
Thanks for sharing those images...
What flavor cameras are y'all using - very impressive :)
What sort of blenny is that with the (super cool) candy striped cirri?
I've never seen one before...
Rick

Barry uses an Olympus, but he'll have to tell you the model#. I use a Canon 570is with a Inon D2000w strobe and ULCS tray/arms. I'm a believer that the strobe makes the photo more than the camera, but I'm starting to pine for the sweet, heavy glass of an slr.....

Someone else will have to name the Blenny too. I called them "Christmas Blennies" as it looks like they had their Christmas crowns on. They were mostly in the 2ft to 20ft range on both sides of the jetty, and seemed to prefer the top surface of the rocks (as opposed to the side surfaces).

Found it!
It's one of the colorations of the Molly Miller (Scartella cristata)
I've seen plenty of Molly Millers, but just not that prominent candy striped cirri...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom