Dive Report: Destin Jetties East 05-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Met JHayes75 at the Destin Jetties at 10:00 AM. Jason was traveling with his wife and 2 beautiful daugters this trip and it was a real pleasure meeting them. Jason loaded up my sand buggy with beach gear and then suited up in dive gear and pulled the stuff down to the jetty with wife and kids in hot pursuit. The snad buggy actually did okay with the amount of stuff we had in it although I know it does not do well with tanks and gear! We got Jason's family all settled in and off we went for 1 of 2 dives. We splashed at 10:33 AM and quickly made our way down to the box where we tied in the dive flag and then made our way into the abyss. Viz was failry nice at about 20 feet but the summer grass has started to show up and wen the water was moving wasn't real noticeable, but at spots where the current dropped off it seemed like it was just hanging in globs. We made our way out to the anchor which is almost fully buried again except the block and out to the point before turning and coasting back in and taking pics along the way. It's nice diving with another photographer as I don't feel rushed to keep moving, every time I looked up Jason was busy taking a picture so I'd move past him and then he'd do the same and we found ourselves leap frogging down the reef. We had a real nice dive with a max depth of 51 feet for 67 minutes and a min temp of 81* !!!!!!
During our surface interval we hauled empty tanks to the parking lot to exchange for fresh ones and came across I think Justina and a friend just exiting....Nice to see ya'll! We had just got our tanks swapped when it started to rain a bit, but it quickly cleared and Jason's family said that they'd see us in a bit as we headed under for dive 2. We kind of follwed the same route and made our way out to the anchor hoping to see something bigger than reef fish. We never saw anything big so after goofing around for a few minutes with some sunglasses :cool2: we headed back along the reef and took more pics, mainly of Blennys and Blue Crabs. It is also worth noting that all the sand dollars have been cleaned out as we didn't see but 1-2. We ended up back on the beach after 64 minutes and a max depth of 52 feet and a min temp of 82*.
While we were under some bad weather had moved through and we were suprised to see the entire beach was now empty and Jason's family was gone. :shocked2: But they showed up from the truck a few minutes later, wet but no worse for the wear!:)
So we headed back unloaded our gear and said our farewells! It was a real pleasure diving with you again Jason, and we'll have to do it again soon!

Some pics:

P5173491.jpg

P5173494.jpg

P5173495.jpg

P5173503.jpg

P5173518.jpg

P5173524.jpg

P5173553.jpg

P5173530.jpg

P5173562.jpg

P5173592.jpg

P5173588.jpg

Great pics Mrxray. It was great diving with you and look forward to diving with you in the Future. I will be engineering a self propelled cart for our next trip. I will post my pictures later including the sunglasses pic and thank you for your kind words of my family.

Great pics, the sand dollars will be back as soon as the sands shift again. They are a reoccuring feature of the jetties for sure.

That is the coolest blenny picture I've ever seen. The cilli almost look like horns. The nearest thing I can find in the Humann book is a Zebratail.

Great photos!!

Fabulously good pics, especially the blue crab close-ups and the damselfish. You seldom see good photos of damselfish.

So you guys are tying your flag on somewhere instead of towing it? Is that legal? I just ask because I'll be at the jetties next tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom