Pre Dive Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nilsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/64397-bwarf.html got me wondering about the different pre dive procedures that people and agencies use. So I'll start by listing the ones I know. Please add others that you know or use. Just want to see what else is out there.

BWRAF (PADI equipment check)
B - Buoyancy
W - Weight
R - Releases
A - Air
F - Final

Head to Toe Gear Match (equipment check)
Team checks their gear starting at the top (hood, mask) and working down to the bottom (fins). The team leader will call out each piece.

Bubble Check (equipment check)
Team checks each other for bubbles coming from equipment at the start of the dive.​

SADDDDD (Dive plan review)
S - Sequence (Who is doing what, team formation and positions)
A - Air (Gas type & pressure, turn pressure, rock bottom)
D - Depth (max and average depth)
D - Duration (expected and max time)
D - Deco (the deco plan)
D - Direction
D - Distance

GUE EDGE (GUE Dive plan review)
G - Goals
U - Unified Team (Who is doing which tasks, )
E - Equipment (special equipment used, head to toe)
E - Exposure (depth and time plan)
D - Deco (the deco / ascent plan)
G - Gas (1/2s, 1/3, minimum gas, etc)
E - Environment (any special issues for environment)​

I generally use GUE EDGE or SADDDDD, pulse a head to toe gear match and bubble check.

I would do them all,sort off.:D
Only the 1st 2 do a equipment check,the others take care of the dive.

Begin With Review And Friend------does PADI still use these words in getting the info out??....

Sounds complicated.

Begin With Review And Friend------does PADI still use these words in getting the info out??....

Or
Blond
Women
Realy
Are
Fun

I have trouble remembering acroynms that I didn't come up with, especially ones with lots of reeepeeeting letters.

When gearing up, I used to think to myself: NASCAR

N: Neoprene = put my hood on before the regs
A: Alternate = put my neckaced regulator routing the primary regulator
S: Suit = hook up my drysuit before routing the primary regulator
C: Cord = route my light cord before routing the primary regulator (note I keep my light cord UNDER my long hose)
A: Adjust = tighten the waist strap (I keep it loose to facilitate the above step)
R: Regulator = route the primary

It kept me from either trapping my long hose or having to take off my regs to put the hood on (both of which I did often in the early days).

So this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/64397-bwarf.html got me wondering about the different pre dive procedures that people and agencies use. So I'll start by listing the ones I know. Please add others that you know or use. Just want to see what else is out there.

• Make sure p-valve hose is connected *
  • Make sure drysuit zipper is closed *
  • Check tank pressure
  • Check primary second stage (negative test and breathing)
  • Check backup second stage (negative test and breathing)
  • Partially inflate BC and make sure it actually holds air *
  • Take 3 big hits off the primary second stage while watching computer for pressure drop
  • Make sure everything is attached/stowed properly (weights, SMB, etc).
  • Verify dive plan with buddy
  • Splash!
  • Bubble check
  • Switch to backup and test deployment of primary first stage (and re-stow if long hose)
  • Have fun!
* = "Learned from Unpleasant Experience"

It sounds more complicated than it is, and in reality just makes sure that I can breath, float, sink, share air and not leak in unpleasant places.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom