What is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil287x

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
technically, what counts as an actual, loggable "dive". i mean if you gear up and jump in the local pool? does that count? can you log that? or do you have to be in open water or a lake? just curious :D

neil287x

You can log any sort of underwater breathing, just do it accurately. I especially encourage you to log any activity where you learned something. Jumping in the pool to fine tune weights is a prime example.

If you feel guilty about logging something as a "dive" just don't increment your dive count but do capture the experience.

Should you ever seek some status that requires log book review dives that don't meet a given standard can simply be discounted.

Pete

As a Assistant Instructor we tell all our students to log all there pool time as well as open water times.

A log is something you can go back and reflect on.If you wont you can lot ever thing . I have lodged time spent in my pool doing deferent skills. Log all you do and you can look back and reflect later.

ya i thought that it was just personal preference. i was just curious because today me and a few freinds went to the local pool and did a lot of diving. it was only at 13 feet but i did in fact work on stuff. haha.

If in the future, you may want to carry out advance endeavors and you may be required to show you have completed a certain number of dives. The requirements for these dives may be 20 mins at 20 ft etc. and that's why there is some idea as what constitutes an actual dive.

Otherwise, I suggest logging any water activity wearing scuba gear as it's always good to know equipment set ups used, temps, conditions, and anything helpful to plan further dives.

If you really wanted to bump your logged dive count, you could fill your bath tub and "dive" in there. I wouldn't recommend that, but you could do it.

Basically, I only log dives where I feel I got something out of it....did I have a good time, did I learn something? If I got in the water, descended to find that the visibility was nothing (or the surge was uncomfortably strong), and exited the water within a couple minutes, I probably wouldn't log it. Now, if my buddy had a free flow and we had to share air on an ascent with the aforementioned dive, I probably would log it because it was out of the ordinary and I learned something from the dive.

It comes down to your criteria. If you want to count anything that's more than one minute, you can do that....if you want to log anything that's longer than 20 minutes, you can do that....it's up to you, but if you're working toward a certification that requires X number of logged dives, you should figure out what the agency counts as a dive.

I generally use the 20 minute rule for logging dives. But there have been a few dives that were so "interesting" and/or "experience making" of just a few minutes that I have counted them too. For example, I had one dive, scooters, off a boat, that lasted 3 minutes -- but so many things went wrong in those three minutes that it was a wonderful learning experience.

Time and depth are not the only important aspects.

Like Peter, I have had "in-water gear-on" type experiences ("DON'T ever dive with THAT guy again") that I make notes about but won't use for my dive count. Trying to keep myself honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom