Any initial opinions on the Aeris 5 Oceans BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
After seeing the positive review in Scuba Diving I've become intrigued with the new Aeris 5 Oceans BC. I do most of my local diving in a dry suit with 25-28lbs of lead. I like the idea of being able to bring the same lite weight BC on trips to warm water. I don't do any tech diving. It looks like a perfect BC for me. I was curious if there's anyone out there who is already using this BC. Have an opinion?

fyi. Here's a description:
http://www.diveaeris.com/p_bcs_5oceans.html

Thanks

Hi David,

I looked at the link you posted. My concern with this BCD is that it tries to be a little bit of everything. It tries to be suited to cold water by having a large 40 pound lift capacity (in other words, a large air bladder), and it tries to be suited to warm water by compressing that air bladder down with bungee cords so that it isn't bulky when only partially inflated.

I appreciate the appeal of an "all in one" design from the perspective of cost and only getting used to one piece of gear -- really, I do. I just don't think it ever works very well.

My biggest concern is with the bungee that wraps over the air bladder. It sounds like a great idea when you think it will keep the BCD compact, the air pocket from shifting, etc. Then you think about "what happens if I get a puncture at depth?". The answer is your BCD with the fancy bungee pushes all the air out, and you are suddenly very negative. A non-bungee BCD can still trap some air and help you get to the surface; a bungee BCD cannot.

The bottom line is that when a company makes a BCD fit for all conditions, it usually means compromising a fair bit in all conditions, too. If you can afford to, I'd recommend a cold water BCD and a warm water BCD, or a backplate with two different sized wings for cold and warm water.

I hope this is helpful, and, whatever you decide, have a great time diving.

Hi David,

I looked at the link you posted. My concern with this BCD is that it tries to be a little bit of everything. It tries to be suited to cold water by having a large 40 pound lift capacity (in other words, a large air bladder), and it tries to be suited to warm water by compressing that air bladder down with bungee cords so that it isn't bulky when only partially inflated.

I appreciate the appeal of an "all in one" design from the perspective of cost and only getting used to one piece of gear -- really, I do. I just don't think it ever works very well.

My biggest concern is with the bungee that wraps over the air bladder. It sounds like a great idea when you think it will keep the BCD compact, the air pocket from shifting, etc. Then you think about "what happens if I get a puncture at depth?". The answer is your BCD with the fancy bungee pushes all the air out, and you are suddenly very negative. A non-bungee BCD can still trap some air and help you get to the surface; a bungee BCD cannot.

The bottom line is that when a company makes a BCD fit for all conditions, it usually means compromising a fair bit in all conditions, too. If you can afford to, I'd recommend a cold water BCD and a warm water BCD, or a backplate with two different sized wings for cold and warm water.

I hope this is helpful, and, whatever you decide, have a great time diving.

What would you define as cold water diving???

I have about 72 dives behind me with this particular model. To be honest I like it a lot. However I have few cons.

1. Lack of proper chest d-rings.

2. Doesn't have a good belt where one could attach something like a pocket or canister light.

3. The placement of (optional) knife is a little off in my opinion.

I am taking it to Thailand so it is traveling with me but when I come back I will be replacing it with BP/w so I will be selling it if someone wants it.

What would you define as cold water diving???

5 Oceans can have 30lbs max weight. 10+10+5+5. So it can be bit difficult for drysuit if you are learning and need bit more weight.

I've just had this BCD offered to me at a pretty attractive rate (a little less than half it retails for) from a customer. They bought it for dry suit diving and now it's too big when they want to dive in warm water. As far as I know it's like new. I've taken it on one dive and it felt just fine. Of course I have a few concerns: Lack of D-Rings, difficulty providing extra weight to customers underwater, no cummerbund are on the top of the list.

I'm pretty sure I'll take it, as the price seems to be right especially for my first BC. Has anyone had any major issues with it?

I'll be using it to guide dives as a DM, by the way. Thank you!

I don't check out every BC on the market and I am strictly a warm watter diver, traveling to the tropics. Looking at the link I noticed the weight and I just don't consider 7.5# all that light. It's only about 1# less than my Oceanic Probe. But I do thank you for the link as I'm always looking to see what changes occur in this industry and am looking at some of the lighter "travel" BC's.

After seeing the positive review in Scuba Diving I've become intrigued with the new Aeris 5 Oceans BC.... It looks like a perfect BC for me. I was curious if there's anyone out there who is already using this BC. Have an opinion?

I've got 10 dives on my 5Oceans...my total diving experience so far, as a matter of fact. It seems to me to be a very well made BCD and I've now had enough practice with it that I'm having no significant buoyancy issues, though it took a little work to learn how to roll on my side to use the air releases.

My main complaint is that there's no place to put items of gear you might want to keep with you. No pockets except for a clearly afterthought drop-down pocket, and the chest rings, belt and grommets are inadequate. If you want to take a spare light, or safety sausage or folding knife or whatever, they will dangle and flap around as you swim. It's a fine BCD for casual holiday diving, but otherwise...maybe not. I've invested in a Zeagle Ranger for the diving I want to do off the BC coast next summer almost entirely because it has pockets.

I've used it for about 20 dives right now. As others have pointed out, it is not particularly technical and doesn't really do any one thing very well. that said, i don't drysuit dive (which i imagine could create problems) and am moderately satisfied with it. lack of rings, grommets, cummerbund, and pockets is annoying, but if you want to shave your BCD weight down as much as they have, it has to come from somewhere. i wanted a light-weight, warm water BCD and that is pretty much all i got. buoyancy is fine and it is nice and slim on my body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom