New BCD where to put knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeway

Reaction score
Ok I’m tired of borrowing equipment. So I just bought my own gear. Oceanic Alpha 7/PX2 Reg. with Oceanic slimline octopus. The BCD is also Oceanic Ocean Pro with integrated weights (QLR). I also bought an Oceanic Knife (spinner 3”). The knife is supposed to mount to the BCD. My LDS said I need to cut two slots in the BCD to mount it. If it was made to mount on my BCD why would I have to cut it? Any ideas how to mount it with out cutting the bcd?

I am not the expert on this by any means...but...i think he meant to burn two small holes that fit the hole spacing for the knife. You could even put in gromets which would keep tearing down. You could also hose mount the knive..or must put it in a pocket since the odds of ever needing it are slim.

Cut??? I dont think so. Anyone else????

mmm..I don't know about cutting or burning your new bc. If you can easily reach the pockets, I'd put the knife in there. I use emt shears and they're attched to a clip inside one of my pockets.

I would not want to cut, burn or alter my new euipment in any way. One possible solution would be to use tie wraps to mount it to your B.C. or you may want to get some bands and mount it on your arm where it would be accessible. Putting it in a pocket would be the least desirable way (with the exception of cutting your equipment) to store your knife. Most people have a knife for the sole purpose of getting out of an entanglement. If your bc pocket got tangled and you could not get to the knife it would have been useless. just my .02 worth.

The Spinner was designed for the Oceanic Chute 3. They have grommets on the pocket as the attachment point. I'd go with Double125's suggestions or go to your LDS and get your money back and get another more compatible knife/sheath design.

Personally I like blunt tip over the pointy one.

:spaninq:

The BC has a webbing belt which fastens over the velcro cummerbund. The sheath of the knife should be able to slip over the webbing so the knife is mounted on your waist belt. I mounted my knife on my Raider in this manner.

Burn/melt options...
Being a sailor and diver I have three melt tools that get a lot of use. A round pencil style soldier iron, a soldier iron with a flat blade, and a larger line cutting melter for large lines. I routinely melt/burn holes into gear, webbing, etc. This is for mounting threaded fasteners, or lacing. Before all the new manufactured equipment, we used to custom make our own slings, harnesses, weight suspender rigs, floats, lift lines and straps, etc. Generally you do not need any grommets since the melt creates a nice hard border. Burning/melting is the cleanest method. Don't cut since material will fray.

Sounds like you are a BC/jacket user, so as long as you don't encroach on your air cells or bladders, mount where you can easily reach. But be aware of potentail snag risk, weeds, kelp, lines, monofilament, etc. I prefer to have a small knife on my shoulder straps, right in front easy to access. I have this position on my BC and BP rigs. Snips on the belt line.

Also with my past experience, which includes air rescue, and life raft preparation, having a knife monuted on your dive rig is great, but also have one that goes with you, if you needed to do an equipment ditch, or whatever, a cutting instrument should be on your person. All of my suits have a protected pocket and cover flap for a backup.

Back
Top Bottom