Hawk Aqua Scout DPV - What can I do with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wackybell38

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a Hawk Aqua Scout DPV for $80 (ebay). It's really nothing special, but $80 to play screw around a bit couldn't be passed up.

I took it out to the water, and its battery lasted only about 20 minutes before it struggled to pull me along. Well, it struggled to pull me along anyway, but much more so after 20 mins.

So - now it's time to make a pet project out of this! What I'd like to know is what I can do with it to improve performance.

It comes with a SLA 12V 7AH battery, but I'm thinking about attaching a 12V 12AH (or higher if I can fit it in). I'm not too sure about the specs on the motor and what I can do there. I'm also thinking about replacing the triggers with a variable rate one, so I can have, well, variable speeds! Just think, I can go slow or slower!

Other ideas include adding a small LCD that shows current charge. The challenge there, of course, is to seal it properly. This won't add a lick of performance, but will certainly add to its "cool factor" .. and hey, doesn't matter how fast it goes then! :)

Anyhow, any ideas? I won't be too heartbroken if it floods/catches on fire/mutates/etc, but I'd like to see what I can do. At the very least should be an interesting project.

Hi all,

I recently bought a Hawk Aqua Scout DPV for $80 (ebay). It's really nothing special, but $80 to play screw around a bit couldn't be passed up.

I took it out to the water, and its battery lasted only about 20 minutes before it struggled to pull me along. Well, it struggled to pull me along anyway, but much more so after 20 mins.

So - now it's time to make a pet project out of this! What I'd like to know is what I can do with it to improve performance.

It comes with a SLA 12V 7AH battery, but I'm thinking about attaching a 12V 12AH (or higher if I can fit it in). I'm not too sure about the specs on the motor and what I can do there. I'm also thinking about replacing the triggers with a variable rate one, so I can have, well, variable speeds! Just think, I can go slow or slower!

Other ideas include adding a small LCD that shows current charge. The challenge there, of course, is to seal it properly. This won't add a lick of performance, but will certainly add to its "cool factor" .. and hey, doesn't matter how fast it goes then! :)

Anyhow, any ideas? I won't be too heartbroken if it floods/catches on fire/mutates/etc, but I'd like to see what I can do. At the very least should be an interesting project.

Is the battery new? you may have a bad battery which is causing the short run time. Batteries don't last forever, especially if they are discharged fully. Running a lead acid until it stops is bad for the battery, and you cannot do it often without damaging it.

There are plenty of posts about testing battery capacity.

A point to concert yourself with when trying different batteries is their weight, this will affect the buoyancy of the vehicle in the water

Unless you really feel compelled to do so, I'd say skip the LCD and the variable speed trigger and just see if you can get a bigger battery. Like you say, you could "go slower"...what would be the point of that?? It already goes too slow to begin with. Sounds like you could make it cooler and give it to a small kid to play with but if you're a grown adult of normal size, you simply need a bigger scooter. get one and try to modify that! That would be much more satisfying in the long run. The Torpedos are simple and you could probably do some easy mods to them to up the cool factor. I have.

I know, Old thread... But does the performance increase when you replace the 12V 7,5Ah battery by a 12V 12Ah one?

Gotta buy a new battery for my scooter and came across 2 types, a 12V 7,5Ah and a 12V 12Ah version. The scooter had a 7,5Ah battery, but is dead. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:
I know, Old thread... But does the performance increase when you replace the 12V 7,5Ah battery by a 12V 12Ah one?

Gotta buy a new battery for my scooter and came across 2 types, a 12V 7,5Ah and a 12V 12Ah version. The scooter had a 7,5Ah battery, but is dead. That's why I'm asking.

No, the power the is the same but the run time will close to double with the 12V 2Ah. Understand the 12V 12Ah is also about twice as large as the 12V 7Ah so make sure your battery compartment will support it (many of those types of scooter do-the smaller battery may fit in at an angle whereas the bigger battery is placed straight into the compartment filling it)

These Sea Doo batteries are compatible with the Hawk series: Hawk Aqua Scout Battery , Hawk Pilot Aqua Scooter Battery

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom