Gilboa DIR Demo trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I just returned from the DIR Demo that MHK & the "ScubaGuys"
[ local GUE instructors Brandon Schwartz & Scot Wernette} put on today at Gilboa quarry. Weather was somewhat problematic however many brave souls battled the horrible weather and enjoyed a very informative and entertaining discussion. It was nice to put several Scubaboard "names" with their faces.

For those that have not yet attended a DIR Demo I highly recommend it. Alot of DIR gets debated on various forums but once you see it live and first hand you really understand that DIR is much more then a standarized gear configuration. Some have thought that these demos represent a Halcyon "sales pitch". I want to be clear that MHK and the "ScubaGuys" never elluded to a specific brand, but spent much of their time discussing what to look for in certain gear.

MHK and the "ScubaGuys" were also kind enough to do a dive with several that attended the demo. Before the dive they spent the time to lend out BP & wings, free of charge. They showed us how to fit the gear and then they did a dive with us. Scot, Brandon & MHK demonstrated the various propulsion techniques that DIR uses, while MHK & Brandon videotaped all of the divers. It was a pleasure to see how MHK conducted the pre-dive briefing that discussed exactly what the plan would be, and then to later watch the dive on tape.

Everyone later enjoyed while MHK & the "ScubaGuys" critiqued the dive. For many in the demo this was the first opportunity to see themselves on video tape and to see the difference between their skill level and how precise MHK, Brandon & Scot looked underwater. The difference between the trim, balance and buoyancy control was vast and MHK's debrief was "candid", although for good measure he threw in some "positive reinforcement" ;-). Seriously, I enjoyed the DIR Demo very much and I appreciate the fact that the ScubaGuys set up this demo and I appreciate the fact that MHK flew in from Los Angeles for this demo. I encourage everyone that has the opportunity to attend one of these demo's to take the time to see first hand what DIR is all about. Seriously, what do you have to loose but one afternoon of your time?

Dive safe.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Seriously, what do you have to loose but one afternoon of your time?
A factless, deeply ingrained bias against something that some cling to like a drowing man to a life preserver? :)

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

A factless, deeply ingrained bias against something that some cling to like a drowing man to a life preserver? :)

Roak

:::Coke Alert::::

hehehe...Coolaid alert

Back
Top Bottom