Vandenberg Reefing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amaze

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My university colleagues and I are doing some economic valuation work on artificial reefs (our work on the Oriskany has been presented at DEMA and is in the current issue of the journal Marine Resource Economics) and we would like to measure some of the economic aspects associated with the planned USS Vandenberg (500+ feet long) sinking in 140 feet of water 6 miles south of Key West; the large dish arrays should be at a depth of about 45 feet if the sinking goes as planned.

There are a total of 23 questions at the survey monkey web site and it should take no more than 8 minutes to complete.

The purpose of the survey is to gather information from individuals that dive or intend to dive artificial reefs and wrecks in the Key West area, and also from those that intend to dive the General Hoyt S. Vandenberg following its anticipated sinking. For the survey, the Key West area is defined to be the adjacent waters from Biscayne National Park on the eastern side down Highway 1 through Key Largo, Marathon, and on to Key West. We also consider Dry Tortugas National Park to be a part of the area as well.

We would like to ask questions about your socio-demographic status and your expected dive trips to the Key West area following the sinking of the Vandenberg. All answers are strictly confidential and the accuracy of the study depends upon your answering all the questions. No questions will be asked regarding your identity and no personal information will be shared.
Go here for the survey and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill Huth

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Sh1nCYewULVlil_2b_2bNFmRuQ_3d_3d

Last edited:
What WreckDivingFool said.

Your survey should also tailor towards those of us who live in the Keys to address our increased diving based on dropping the ship

Your survey should also tailor towards those of us who live in the Keys to address our increased diving based on dropping the ship

Given the zip we will know where you are located and can pull out those that live there...you can still answer the number of dive questions.

From an economic impact perspective if you live in the keys the money you spend is already there and you are just mixing it between alternatives. It is those that bring spending in from outside the area that produce the "economic impact."

Thanks.

I know. But a lot of us also go outside of the Keys or to other areas where the environmental impact has not been felt by so many people in such a small space. Since I got down here in 98, the impact on the reefs has been HUGE! We need something new, and this wreck is going to make a really big impact and take a huge burden off the reef finally

I know. But a lot of us also go outside of the Keys or to other areas where the environmental impact has not been felt by so many people in such a small space. Since I got down here in 98, the impact on the reefs has been HUGE! We need something new, and this wreck is going to make a really big impact and take a huge burden off the reef finally

That's one of the things we are measuring...a couple of years back there was an article by Leeworthy et al. and they found that the s. grove reduced pressure on natural reefs in the largo area and we are going to check for that again in this case.

Well if you need any help on that, I have connections with all the dive shops, and run dive trips for one of them. We can help you monitor reef impact and rehabilitation based on the sinking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom