Spearfishing in Wasilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
will be moving to wasilla at the end of the summer from fairbanks and would like to know if there are any lakes in the mat su area to spearfishing for pike in
there are several places in fairbanks that i go to for it but hadnt heard anything about mat su spearfishing

will be moving to wasilla at the end of the summer from fairbanks and would like to know if there are any lakes in the mat su area to spearfishing for pike in
there are several places in fairbanks that i go to for it but hadnt heard anything about mat su spearfishing

Where do you spear fish in the Fairbanks area? What kind of success have you had?

Most of the spots I've fished for pike in would be really bad diving spots....shallows with lots of reeds and other junk to get tangled up in. You might try looking at ADoF&G's website. They have a list of lakes that have non-indigenous pike populations in them. I'd use that list as a starting point to plan your dives. Past that, I've got nothing for you...sorry.

What do you do with the pike? When I was a kid I remember fishing for pike, they didn't really put up a fight and we always threw them back because I remember being told they weren't very good eating. Just wondering...

Guess the OP was a Post and Run. Oh well.

As for what to do with pike: Pike like any other fish, or animal for that matter, are what they eat. I've had pike in Canada that were not edible. On the other hand I've had pike from Lake Minchumena that were absolutely delicious. Can't say much about "fight" as I fish primarily for food. No light lines or rods just to make things interesting.

Pike are good to eat. and the lighter the line and thinner the rod, the crazier the fight. You can really have some epic battles with pike on the right gear. Just remember to always use a steel leader, as they will bite clean through a normal line.

Interesting, what I miss about the midwest is the blue gills and crappie fish fries. Nothing like it up here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom