Leg weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

over50diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm wondering . . . I've just gotten some leg weights and I was wondering if anyone else has been using these. Because I'm a girl (at least I think that's the reason), my legs tend to float and I end up diving head down. My Zena BC is integrated and all my weight is distributed equally in my BC. Neutral bouyancy is not a problem if I don't mind being a bit inverted. With my leg weights, I'm level and have to carry less weight in my BC. And . . . if I dive in less than 35 feet of water, I need more weight. Does anybody else have this problem? Or is this just because I'm a girl? :-D

My girlfriend (also a girl) uses leg (ankle actually) weights. Same issues you describe. She says if she doesn't use them she would be upside down the whole dive. I noticed on our recent trip that a couple of other women used ankle weights as well. For reference she is 5'7 about 125 pounds and uses 1.5 on each ankle. No BCD weight and 6 pounds on her belt.

That's strange. I'm just the opposite. As I remain stationery in the water my legs rotate downward. I suppose it's because the majority of my body fat is above my beltline. I've tried redistributing my weights but it has no effect.

Are you diving Steel or AL tanks? If you use Steel tanks moving the tank down on the BC should correct or at least help a lot.

If your weight is distributed equaly on the BC, can't you do it unequaly? I mean, reduce the weight in the shoulders area and increase in the waist area?

I used them but then I was advised by one of the SBoarders that it's the problem of a trim. I worked on my trim and now I dive in dry suit with HP100 steel tank moved up so I can reach valves w/o ankle weights and with all extra weight on my waist. I'm 6' so HP100 is located pretty high.
As a side effect of getting rid of the weights my legs are less tired now and I found maneuring in the water easier.

Try to move all your weight to the waist area on the belt or into the pockets.

This is what I used as an education video while working on the trim. I took my ankle weights of and no longer need them.

YouTube - Gaining Horizontal Trim

Are you diving Steel or AL tanks? If you use Steel tanks moving the tank down on the BC should correct or at least help a lot.

This advice is not limited to steel tanks only - will help even if diving AL tanks, as the net result is moving some of your weight closer to your midpoint.

Well I'm a guy and a very good floater, but I use ankle weights in the colder months when I wear a 7mm suit because my legs also float! I have good trim and good buoyancy control....

Some of the things that can be used to combat floaty feet are:

-move weight to a welt belt from trim pockets
-move tank lower
-use heavier fins like jet fins
-do a weight test to make sure you are not overweighted

Failing that use ankle weights. I have tried all of the above (I have my tank low, I wear a weight belt, not overweighted, tank as low as possible and I have Jet Fins) and when I am doing a shallow dive (<20ft) I still need to use 500g on each ankle with my 7mm wetsuit. I don't have any floaty feet issues deeper than that so I don't wear them then.

In my drysuit I wear 1kg on each ankle on shallow dives and 500g on deeper dives. I have been told gaiters can help with floaty feet so I might try those and see if that helps.

Some people seem to think ankle weights are silly but I don't agree - if you need them, you need them.

Back
Top Bottom