Tidal charts Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeliejerm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,
I'm here in destin for the week and I was hoping to get in a couple of dives. I was gonna hit the jetties and bridge one day and ec charter another. I'm checking the tides on saltwater tides. Are those times listed in local time or eastern time. Also, what's with the green water. Am I waisting my time. Will I be able to see anything at all around the jetties. Maybe the vis is better offshore? Thanks for the help in advance.

Hello,
Welcome to Destin. The times listed are local. At least they are on all the charts I have used. Visibility is down due to the rain we have received. But, still worth diving I think. Expect 10 - 20 feet at the jetties or around the bridge. Better offshore just not the best we see during the year. There are a couple of recent dive reports that will give you a good idea what to expect.
Safe diving to ya,
Ray

I use saltwatertides.com as well, I've always assumed the times were local and have had luck with dives in that order.

Keep in mind the tide tables are estimates, rains, winds, and other weather events can effect the tides.

vis at the jetties last week was about 15-20 feet on Tuesday.

the day before the tides were off and nothing but brown water.

I use SaltwaterTides.com also. (got that suggestion from Mat years ago). they have a good format that is easy to read compared to some charts, but it requires more clicking that really required and you can't "direct link" any particular date which is a pain in the butt. oh well.

as for green water, that's why they call it the "emerald coast".

good luck getting a charter to go offshore. they still had less than favorable seas forecast for this week. last week they were canceling about any trip offshore or even inshore trips to sites like the Miss Louise. (oh well again.... that's destin operators for you.)

vis at the jetties last week was about 15-20 feet on Tuesday.

the day before the tides were off and nothing but brown water.

I use SaltwaterTides.com also. (got that suggestion from Mat years ago). they have a good format that is easy to read compared to some charts, but it requires more clicking that really required and you can't "direct link" any particular date which is a pain in the butt. oh well.

as for green water, that's why they call it the "emerald coast".

good luck getting a charter to go offshore. they still had less than favorable seas forecast for this week. last week they were canceling about any trip offshore or even inshore trips to sites like the Miss Louise. (oh well again.... that's destin operators for you.)

this is not quite emerald though. its more like a snot green

this is not quite emerald though. its more like a snot green

snot green is most likely "June Grass" in the water.

it looks like grass/weed/moss when it's on the beach (or caught on your fishing line), but when you're dive, it's more like you're "swimming in green snot" as it's been described that way many times by lots of folks.

Back
Top Bottom