Kosrae Diving, etc. - anyone with info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe123

Reaction score
Hi all. I noticed that there doesn't appear to be any detailed info in the archives about diving in Kosrae. My wife and I are planning on a Micronesia dive tour in September using Continental's visit Micronesia pass. We have a choice of a number of islands (Palau, Truk, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Majuro, Yap, and Saipan), so right now I am wondering if it would be worth including Kosrae in our tour. Anyone been there and have information on diving, accomodation, costs, etc.? Any info much appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

and welcome aboard! There are a few board members like us based in Japan - where you at?

I wouldn't bother with Majuro unless you are on your way to Bikini - then you have no choice as you have to be there for a day or two.

Kosrae and Pohnepi are somewhat off the route - but a guy I sat next to on the plane worked in the fishing ministry out of Pohnepi said there was good diving around and they were installing a chamber on Pohnepi - but best check.

Maybe the Embassy in Akasaka can help you - it's right next to the US Embassy in Tokyo.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info. I've been in Tokyo (more or less) since '96. However, the Micronesia trip is the big fling before finally heading back to the States (where I haven't lived for over ten years and am anticipating a little reverse culture shock!).

Ciao,
Joe

Hi Joe,

There isn't much detailed info on Kosrae because it isn't a big dive destination. The Mashalls, Kosrae, and Pohnpei, are pretty much the same, as far as diving anyway. They are mostly just hard corals. Nice if you like that sort of thing, but it isn't spectacular.
Go to Truk if you are into wrecks.
Yap and Palau are where you start to get into the soft corals and would be my choice. They also have a better dive infrastructure.
I really don't know anything about Saipan so can't comment.

Hope this helps a little.
Josh

Plus there's no diving on Sundays...or anything else fun for that matter, IIRC. The locals are apparently quite religious.

Thanks to everyone for the replies to date.

Josh, have you actually been diving in Majuro, Kosrae, and/or Pohnpei? If so, where did you dive, what were the prices like, etc.

As for our trip, the details are getting a little clearer. We just booked (using our frequent flyer mileage) round trips to Saipan, with approximately 35 day interval between coming and going. The wife spoke with someone from Continental and it seems that we can get a pass that goes to 5 other islands besides Saipan. So, of course, we will be hitting Yap, Palau, and Chuuk.

The question mark is with the last two islands, since we have three to choose from, namely, Pohnpei, Kosrae, and Majuro. Since the wife is not big into diving, and especially not anything that might be challenging, Bikini atoll is definitely out... although it would certainly be on my itinerary if going alone. So, probably, unless I hear anything stunning about Majuro and vicinity (either above or below water), we will choose Phonpei and Kosrae by default.

Anyhow, I would definitely appreciate hearing from anyone else who has actually been to any of the above places and has advice, tips, comments, etc., relating to both diving and other activities.

Regards,
Joe

the trip all the way along to Majuro is just not worth it!

I stayed there an extra couple of days after my Bikini trip and wished I had joined the others going back to Guam. I met another diver there, a japanese instructor who wished she had booked just about anywhere else - aftwards she did her first Izu dive and said it was much better than Majuro.

If you do any of those three Islands I think you had better do them first because by all accounts you WILL be disappointed after any of the others on your trip - diving wise anyway.

Top side on Majuro there is nothing to do - can't speak for Pohnpei and Kosrae but there is probably more life and intersting cultural things.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, I think I'll take your advice and forget about Majuro. Also, given the fame of Palau, Yap, & Chuuk, I'd already decided to do the less famous places first so as not to end with disappointment. Basically, the order I am thinking about is Saipan, Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Yap, with the big finale in Palau. Depending on how quickly the money flows out of the pocket, most places will probably be one-day, two dives with the rest of the activity being above-ground (diving gets quite expensive when you're paying for two!).

Cheers,
Joe

Joe, I haven't dove there. Sorry if I was misleading.
Pohnpei and Kosrae are THE holiday destinations from here. As such I have many friends that have dove there. None of them have been impressed by the diving. I have seen video from both and it looks identical to here on Kwaj. Ditto for Majuro. At least Kosrae and Pohnpei are pretty above water though. I have been there, just didn't bother to dive. Jonathan is right, Majuro is a dump. Nothing good above or below. Nothing to do on the other islands either but at least they look nice.
If you feel you NEED to go to two more islands chose Pohnpei and Kosrae. If not, spend more time in the others.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I will try to answer them.

Hi Josh,

Actually, I am more of a traveller than a diver (gasp!), which always pushes me to want to see new places... even if they may not have the best diving. A couple of years ago, when the wife and I were on our 601 day honeymoon (like I said... I like to travel!), we started in Fr. Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora) and then did island-hopping across the S. Pacific (Cooks, Fiji, Tonga, both Samoas). Although I had kind of expected that they would all be basically "the same," truth was that all were quite different and I would have regretted missing any of them. Since this also is probably going to be one of those once-in-a-lifetime destinations, I would like to explore a little more widely even though this may mean missing a few fanastic diving opportunities.

Cheers,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom