Ways you can use a spare air tank other than as scuba redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandon429

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was certified a while back and am not interested in getting back into full diving, but would have a lot of fun using the 3.0 kit in a pool and in shallow sandy beach areas. I was planning on carrying a small 8l cylinder to refill from a few times, can you think of any major safety issues in using this equipment only as mentioned? I'm thinking the most damaging possibility would be if someone inhaled at the bottom of the pool and then for some reason held their breath upon ascent...basic no no, but outside of that I can't really see any risk in using one of these in a standard home swimming pool and then refilling it occasionally from the larger tank in the garage. I would of course keep the equipment inspected, but i'm thinking it's okay. Wanted your professional input!

Thank you

Brandon

A SpareAir is much too small to do an emergency ascent from the bottom of a swimming pool. You need at least a 40 cubic foot cylinder to safely do so and make an effective safety stop before surfacing. Don't waste your money, a good deco regulator and 40 CF cylinder are about the same price. Also, remember to only sling it from the left side, that way it will not be donfused with a deco bottle that could contain a mix other than air. :D

why would you want to spend that much money on a spare-air to go 8ft deep in the pool?

just get a snorkel. (under $10 bucks at Target, etc).

:popcorn:

Only if you wear split fins too!

thanks for the quick replies. To put it simply, if I'm not mistaken with this device, the spare air 3000, one can scuba dive in a pool for about 8 minutes on careful breathing. That's what I was interested in, nothing near a full scuba setup but again literally a handheld scuba will let you dive pretty much anywhere for 8 minutes. Carry two, and you got 16, see what I mean?

Ideally I just want to set up a small refill station in the garage, and refill one or two spare air tanks as needed, and be able to play with them in the pool on sunny days. Can you think of any medical risks in doing this repeatedly? Actually I've already bought it, it's on the way, just seeing if there's anything I've left out before I hop in

Nice topic. The previous posters have basically mentioned everything. Just want to add from myself that you also need to buy an O2 analyzer to make sure the gas you have in the tank in the garage is what you think it is and make sure you do not blow up the MOD. :wink:

let's talk about the safety of it. I figure if I'm healthy I can swim around several times, likely all day with this thing in a pool of a depth of roughly 8 feet and I can expect no abnormal disasters...if it runs out of air, I surface, but for 8 mins or so would you all expect reasonable safety, and miniature scuba diving with this device? As far as the gas it will be provided by the local dive shop, I'll refill my tank with them as needed. I was going to keep a scuba tank in my garage to refill the 3.0 liter spare air tank as it runs out from playing with it in the pool. Is this totally unsafe or what> that's what I was needing to know, or what do you think could go wrong with just having fun with one of these devices...the spare air kits

Back
Top Bottom