Working as a DM in Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisae10

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi :D

Please help!

I was considering working in Dahab as DM but am needing a few questions answered. If anyone could help it would be great!

Firstly, what is the earning potential for doing something like this here? Can you live reasonably comfortably and do something you love? What is the average salary?

Secondly, is it imperitive that you speak two different languages? (languages aint my hot spot)

Thirdly, does anyone know what the job market is like here? Is it relatively easy to find work?

Thanks.

I just came back from Dahab and absolutely loved it.

Best way to work is to freelance. Get yourself some business cards made up, head out to Dahab, distribute to the 60+ divecenters, and wait for a phonecall. Once you start your first gig the rest will come pouring in. But do not turn down work without a valid excuse - then you'll go to the bottom of the phone list! Oh and to legally work in Dahab as a diver you must get a CDWS card (not expensive - travel to Sharm).

Earning potential is decent enough to live on since the place is dirt cheap (food, accommodation, etc) Look for a place to live in Assalah - the local Beduoin village. You're not going to save too much, but will at least maintain a nice standard of living. And there are always tourists pouring in year round so thats not a problem.

Everyone speaks English. Knowing another (like Russian) would help but not mandatory. You'll pick up Arabic words as you go along.

Hope this helps.

Its very quiet here at the moment. Lots of freelances havent worked at all for 3-4 weeks. That said its getting a bit busier now.

Expect €10 for a guided dive in pay so figure on €20 for a day.
Provided you dont go mad food costs maybe €8 a day and rent about €60 a month for non air con house etc. You wont save money but might break even - like a diving job anywhere really provided you get work.

Languages arent essential but will help you get more work if its german, russian or french.

Don't forget before you can work you'll need to go to Sharm to sit and pass the CDWS exam and obtain the card. You need a friendly diver centre prepared to sponsor you in order to get the paperwork to get this card too. Without CDWS you wont get any work at all (or through checkpoints)

Its very quiet here at the moment. Lots of freelances havent worked at all for 3-4 weeks. That said its getting a bit busier now.

Expect €10 for a guided dive in pay so figure on €20 for a day.
Provided you dont go mad food costs maybe €8 a day and rent about €60 a month for non air con house etc. You wont save money but might break even - like a diving job anywhere really provided you get work.

Languages arent essential but will help you get more work if its german, russian or french.

Don't forget before you can work you'll need to go to Sharm to sit and pass the CDWS exam and obtain the card. You need a friendly diver centre prepared to sponsor you in order to get the paperwork to get this card too. Without CDWS you wont get any work at all (or through checkpoints)
True. I'd add that although you most probably won't face problems, your work is illegal. For working legally you have to obtain a work permit.

Last edited:
..and they had a work permit purge in Hughada last week and sharm the day later. And havent YET done Dahab

That really is brilliant and helps so much, I was unaware of havig to pass the CDWS exams and knowing what the earning potential is helps one to prepare.

Thank you all so much!

Lisae, It seems to me your best option is as an intern, if youre not already an experienced DM. An internship is hard work, but if you have some money to pay for the course(s) you might need you will have an easier time.

Guiding in Dahab is relatively easy, but you need to have dived every site at least a couple of times and be fairly conservative in the beginning until you build up experience with how the different sites "act" under different circumstainces..

I know a girl from London who finished her DM-intership at the BigBlue in Dahab some months ago and now works as a DM, her name is Rachel, you might want to stop by them and have a chat with her when you get down there.....

BIG BLUE DAHAB

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom