Paris Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Any recommendations for the 1) the best way or 2) the cheapest way to get into central Paris, the 15e arrondissement, from the De Gaulle Airport. I won't be carrying much gear so that won't be an issue.

Thanks,

You can very easy get there by RER train, the train station is very close to the terminals. The ticket will cost around 8-9 euro. I do not have the map of the metro and trains handy but you can look it up at the station. You just take the train to the point closest to your point of interest then take the metro if necessary. Keep in mind that trains and metro are integrated in train zone 1 so you can use metro or trains when you have the ticket for zone 1. Paris has very good metro system. Pretty much the size of NYC subway but packed into a smaller city. We did not use anything but metro and trains. If you go outside the city all SNCF train stations are very well accessible from the metro stations.

Check this link Paris Metro, RER Train Schedules, Maps & Guides

Bon Voyage !

Hi NYC Diver,

I lived in Paris for about 5 years.

The Metro/RER system in Paris is very efficient. If you don't have much luggage, it is an easy way to get into Paris. However, do be aware that if you transfer into the Metro system there may be stairs (vs. escalators & elevators) to navigate with your luggage.

The other thing to be aware of is getting through the ticket barriers of the RER. You want to put your luggage in front of you when you go through or you will get cut off (don't pull a wheelie bag through because you will get through but not the bag). There are signs and people will generally help you.

The other alternative is the Air France bus from De Gaulle. There is bus that goes from each of the terminals to the train station at Montparnasse which is in the 15e (It's Ligne 4 that goes via Gare de Lyon and on to Montparnasse). Then you would have to walk/Metro/taxi it to your final destination.

The bus can be a slightly less chaotic option especially if you are tired/in the initial jet-lag phases. Plus you get to see a bit of Paris from the bus especially between the train stations. However, I would tend to take the RER back from the center to De Gaulle because the buses can get delayed by normal traffic.

For reference, depending on where you go (and time of day), a taxi from CDG to 15e is between€60-70.

Any other questions, let me know here or in a PM

Here is the link to the Aeroports de Paris websites transport info.
Public transport - Aéroports de Paris

There is also the Roissy Bus which will drop you by the Opera. But I like the Air France Bus better as you get to sit down and there is plenty of room for all your bags. You will be dropped off at the Arc de Triomphe where you can pick up a cab. Take a piece of paper with the address you want to go to incase the driver can't understand your French.

The Metro will get you just about anyplace but the stairs and walks in some of the larger stations is a real pain with bags. The Metro is not handicap accessible by any means. One thing to keep in mind is the metro has signs show the way to the last stop of a line. You have to know where you are and which way you are going. For instance the 12 train will have signs showing the way to "Porte de le Chapelle" or "Mairie d' Issy."

If you plan to stay in the city for a few days get the metro ticket booklet and save yourself a few euros (you will need them).

There is also the Roissy Bus which will drop you by the Opera. But I like the Air France Bus better as you get to sit down and there is plenty of room for all your bags. You will be dropped off at the Arc de Triomphe where you can pick up a cab. Take a piece of paper with the address you want to go to incase the driver can't understand your French.

This is correct, however, there is another Air France Bus line that will take you to Montparnasse (in 15e) which is likely to be closer to your destination in the 15e. It's Line (Ligne) 4 rather than Line 2. The AF bus drivers/ticket sellers should be able to point you in the right direction

As Gilldiver said, the Metro isn't accessibility friendly but for getting around town without luggage it is very useful. Ask for a 'carnet' of 10 tickets unless you buy a multi-day pass.

Also when planning your journey use the line numbers (and ends of line) as Gilldiver explained -- don't rely on the colors of the lines to be consistent on all maps (unlike the London Underground)! The only other unusual thing is that on some of the metro lines with older trains you have to open the door to get on/off. They don't open automatically. They are either push button or you need to lift the lever to release the door. You'll see others doing so and get the hang of it!

If you let me know the Metro station closest to where you will be staying in the 15th arrondissement, I'll be happy to sort out the easiest way for you to do your transfer thru public transportation.
Another option is to take the Paris Shuttle, a private company that offers door to door service from the airport. A lot cheaper than catching a taxi (only downside being that you have to wait for other passengers and drop them off), a bit more expensive than public transportation (but it takes you right where you need to be). Here's their link :
Paris Airport Shuttle, airport transfer from Orly and Roissy Charles de Gaulle CDG airport to Paris hotels.

Back
Top Bottom