Planning my next vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So my annual leave is soon to begin and just wanted to inquire about what you guys recommend for dive operators/accomodations in Sharm el-Sheikh (based on recent experience) to help me put together an itinerary/plan. I'm planning to spend 7-10 days there starting by 20th of July; hopefully going to Sharm dive sites and Dahab.
worthy to mention that the missus is not a diver plus 6yo young champ :D, that I want them to enjoy their time as well, so camping/diver only friendly lodging would be out of the scope I think, but hey, it's only few more pennies per night :eyebrow:.
Thanks for chiming in.

I would not dive there again :) My recommandation for Egypt would be a 2 week liveaboard to the deep south. Places like Hurghada, Sham and Dahab I would not visit, I would avoid it. Once we startet our 2 week lieveaboard in Hurghada. The first reef: 17!! ships, 20-25 divers jumped from every ship an we needed 40 min to swim around the whole place.

Well Maged one recommendation is not to use Sharm operators for diving Dahab. They usually do a daily trip including a couple of dives (Bells and Canyon). It's good when you want to shift away from typical Sharm diving but for a real Dahab experience, use a Dahab-based operator.

So, that calls for splitting the vacation between some days at Sharm and some other at Dahab?
I've been to Sharm, but have no idea how Dahab look like (accomodation, food, other activities than diving, children entertainment...etc.)

Asser, will you be available in Dahab around that time (20th Jul ~ 30th)?

Since you haven't been to Dahab yet, it's way more simple and quite than Sharm. All kinds of accommodation exist, from basic camps (not suitable that time) to 5 stars (Meridien, Hilton, etc...). Of course some nice 3 and 4 star hotels are in between.

Food varieties exist in Dahab but that doesn't include fast food chains. If your family likes Pizza Hut, KFC, etc... then Sharm is your place.

Kids activities in Dahab are mainly water activities (I'd recommend you book an hotel with a pool). Glass boats also exist. Beside water sports, camel riding, horse riding, desert safaris (ranging from 1 hour to whatever you want), and quad runners (beach buggies) are available.

Splitting your vacation is your decision. Now I'm in Cairo but most probably I'll be in Dahab around these dates. Feel free to contact me when your plans are finalized (and of course if you need a hand with that).

In my opinion the diving round Sharm is good but the big drawback is number of divers there, especially on Jackson (Tiran) and Shark & Yolanda (Ras Mo).

If you are with the family, why not consider Nuweiba? The shore diving there is good and you don't have to spend too much time away from the family.

maybe time away from the family is what is really wanted ....!!
RobAtheron - we're thinking of nuweiba in october...any tips or advice greatly received

Id say dont use sharm operators for Dahab. Generally they'll only do the Canyon and Blue Hole and take you to both for the busiest times of day then make you wait a few hours in a random bar in town for the drive back. Although those 2 sites are worth seeing they're better done with a local operator who can schedule it better and there are other sites also worth seeing such as Islands, the southern oasis sites and maybe even Gabr El Bint.

You wont get sharm style crowding at most sites in Dahab unless you go on a Sharm organised trip to BH/C. Its shore diving with far fewer divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom