Ankle weight user poll

Do you use ankle weights and if so with what type of exposure suit?

• I use them only with wetsuits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcey

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the poll that I promised in regards to the Leg Weights thread.:)

Please feel free to share why you have to use them and what type of fins you use, exposure suit, how much weight do you need, etc. Also, if you no longer have to used them but used to please share that as well.

No ankle weights. Dive Rite 905. 18lbs weight using steel HP 100. Oceanic V-12 fins.

Sure I use ankle weights...just not on my ankles.

They are nice when someone needs to add a couple of lbs, you just clip them on. Also working on trim you can throw a few pounds on the tank neck to help someone get horizontal.

It depends on what undergarment i am wearing under my drysuit. I have a very thick(plush)one and then a very thin one. Thicker = ankle weights.

I use them only when in my drysuit. Like many women, I have floaty feet and it makes life easier. I use 0.5kg (per ankle) when diving in freshwater and 1kg when in salt water.

Hmmm haven't been in my drysuit in a while -- must do something about that!

With my 7mm semidry, shallower than 5m I use 500g on each ankle, below that I don't wear ankle weights.

With my drysuit shallower than 5m I use 1kg on each ankle, below that I wear 500g weights.

I've been diving a 5 mm full; and I like my fins but they're floaty too. I can maintain horizontal without the ankle weights by maintaining an uncomfortable level of back arch and arm extension, but uncomfortable isn't the goal. And when my tank gets light, I'd float nose down no matter what my contortions. The ankle weights make life much more pleasant, and I can add more shot to them when in salt water.

I've heard a lot of people say they're unnecessary, evil, and wrong; I suspect these people have very different weight distributions than I do. My instructor and I tried a bunch of different approaches, but short of changing fins ankle weights are the only winner.

Done that once,what a disaster.:shocked2:

There's no need for them (IMO)
When you learn to dive without them, (have been teaching drysuit clases for over 15 years now and have 1(one) former student using them.)

When properly weighted,one can find perfect(or atleast good) trim without them.
Just move your tank(s) up or down as needed.
In this case DON'T use those counterweight pockets on your BC ot tankstrap to just add some lbs.:shakehead: they will force your head down,thus your feet UP.:doh2:

There is just one solution to the problem.

DIVE, DIVE and dive some more.:D

Ok then, 300bar. Tell me what I am doing wrong then:

I have
-Jet Fins
-Tank as low as possible (either steel 12 or steel 10)
-Weight on a weight belt
-I DIVE, DIVE and dive some more
-have done a weight check

I dive, depending on environment and water temperature with:

- DUI Compressed Neoprene CF200x, usually in very cold water, or when I need a very resistant suit
- DUI Trilaminate TLS350, Most of the dives, from warm to cold, changing undergarnment from thinsulate 200 to 400 depending on water temperature (filling with air or argon)
- Neoprene 2 pieces 5mm, warm waters, not very long exposures (recreational only)
- Short john 3 mm, "hot" waters, very short exposure, or freedive

Don't use ankle weights with neither of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom