Having trouble hovering level, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowyorang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK, I'm weird. I've heard of some people needing ankle weights to keep their feet down, but I am just the opposite. My feet want to go down and my body up. I seem to be able to control it a little with shallower breaths and it doesn't seem as big of a problem while I am moving forward, but I want to hover!
Is there something I may be doing? Could it be something like my tank is too low on my back? Am I just a :dork2:?
If it help I use a single tank, wet suit (doesn't seem to be different whether I use a 3mm shorty, or 5mm full suit, hood, gloves, ect.) and a Zeagle Ranger BC.
Thanks for any help!
Micah

Hi Micah,

You're on to it. It's all about moving weight around. That could mean just shifting your cylinder. Otherwise does you BC have trim weight pockets up by your shoulder blades? Moving 6 pounds from my belt to those pockets did the trick for me when I was in your fins 4 years ago.

pete

Pete, thanks, I thought that might be a little of it. I don't have trim weight pockets, but maybe I could adjust something.
Thanks,
Micah

i second the shifting the cylinder approach

move the bc DOWN on the cylinder, so that the cylinder "pushes" your head down. this should help elevate your feet

also, don't be afraid to adopt a slighlty "head down" attitude ... in other words, at first, don't aim for perfect level, aim for slightly head down ... as you continue to practice, level will follow

I also dive the Ranger and agree you are dealing with an issue of establishing good trim by moving weight. I had a similar issue when I got my Ranger BC and I did not want to move my cylinder up to much becuase I really liked the position I had it in. Consider getting these pouches Rear Mount Weights - Weight Pouches and Systems - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems from zeagle. You can mount them on the upper tank strap on your BCD (which is what I did) and most likely attain a nice horizontal trim position in the water after shifting some weight into them.

Good luck and safe diving.

Steve

Pete, thanks, I thought that might be a little of it. I don't have trim weight pockets, but maybe I could adjust something.
Thanks,
Micah

Google "XS Scuba Trim Pockets". These are inexpensive and will fit on the cam band (bands) around your tank. If your feet are sinking you need to gradually move weight toward head. Move the tank up, as has been suggested, then try trim pockets. This takes a lot of practice and some trial and error. Small things make a pretty big difference, even moving a half pound can be noticeable. Also arch back and move elevated legs toward your back. Experiment until you find a balance point. It ain't easy.

In the midst of a dive you can even try swimming with a potato size stone in each hand. You will be slightly over weighted for the moment but it will give you tangible feedback about the see saw you are seeking to balance. That's all it really comes down to.

Try re-evaluating the amount of weight you're using, it's a common mistake to be over-weighted

Also try spending time in a pool or shallow shore site where you can work on developing good trim and buoyancy skills, few divers have natural good buoyancy, most of us have to develop the skill

You may also want to take a bouyancy workshop at a local dive shop, however, you should make sure that the person teaching has the proper skill, tech divers usually have this skill refined as they normally spend a lot of time hovering during deco

My first few dives I had the same problem, so on my last dive I switched to a 100CF steel tank which shifted some of the weight I need off of my belt an onto the tank which helped my trim a lot.

I've struggled hard getting my trim sorted out and I can't say that I have it down pat yet but I thought I might just mention something that I've learned (mostly from reading these forums I might add). It may be totally useless information for you as you may have figured it out long ago but here goes.

When I keep my legs straight, they sink and I'm in a head up position. If I pull my legs up so that they're in the cool-cave-diver-frog-kick-position (not that I've mastered the frog kick at all) my trim seems to be much better.

And this makes sense because, if my legs are negatively buoyant (which they are, as it sounds like yours are), extending them would result in a longer lever relative to your barycenter.

That's it, so now I'm swimming around (or at least hovering around) with my feet in the frog kick position. Hopefully one day the proper frog kick will follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom