re: Doffing BCD in turbulent waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I prefer to doff my BCD in the water before going up the boat ladder in order to save my back.

When I go to Bonaire where the ocean is typically "flat" it's very easy to unclip myself a few feet away from the boat ladder and hand my BCD to
a crew member then remove my fins and go up the ladder.

I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago and the waters were somewhat turbulent plus the boat didn't have the most secure ladder so I grabbed onto the ladder and unclipped the BCD but had to be careful not to bang into the ladder while doing so.

I typically surface first so there's no consideration for other divers being behind or right under me.

Was wondering what the best technique is for doffing one's BCD in turbulent waters?

Thanks,

Sy

Last edited:
My personal preference is to leave all my gear (with exception of fins) on until I'm seated on the boat.

But since you didn't ask about my preference I'll give some thoughts on your question.

You'll probably find it easiest to doff if it's partially deflated.

Make sure that it's inflated enough to float without you in it!

Make sure its securely tied off on the tag line, or with a jon line so that you can let it drift away from the boat a bit til you get onboard, then you have a way to pull it back to you.

Consider removing any integrated weights from the BC before doffing it and hand them off to the crew. That will make it easier to lift out.

Remove and hand your weight belt up before you take the BC off. You don't want to be floundering around in rough waters with no BC and a weight belt!

Trying to haul gear into the boat in rough water could be tricky. Be careful it's not banging into the boat or that someone doesnt fall over trying to fish it back out.

Make sure you keep your mask and fins on til you're on the ladder.

The actual doff procedure is hard to say, because it will depend somewhat on the releases of your particular BC. I can "chicken wing" out of my harness pretty easily either in the water or out. YMMV

I agree with Cave Diver and recommend that specially in rough waters you don't take your BC out in the water, for 2 reasons:

1 - I think it is safer to have you main floting device on you,

2 - With the movement of the boat, chances are that will be difficult to climb the ladder and take out your fin while holding the ladder, in this situation I like to keep the reg in my mouth, so the water splashing my face don't bother me a bit, as I am with mask and reg.

But if you really decide to take the BC out, if you use a weight belt, this is the first thing to take out, then you take your BC out and tie it somewhere in the boat (in the ladder itself for example), kepp your fins and mask on until the last minute (actually, don't take your mask out until you are back on the boat).

Hand up your weight belt if you use one. Then have boat people drag up your BC with tank and regs attached. Then your fins. Pee if you have to or not. FLush out wetsuit. Get in boat.

Was wondering what the best technique is for doffing one's BCD in turbulent waters?

That's a really bad place to take it off, since it's exactly the sort of conditions where you would be really happy to have it on. It's really easy to get knocked right off the ladder and back into the water. Being able to breath and float is a big "plus".

I'd pass the weights up and ask the DM (before the dive starts) to help keep the weight off your back when you reboard.

I know it's not the answer you wanted. Sorry.

Terry

In the Uk a lot of diving is done from RIBS, which don't have ladders, and relatively rough water so this kind of skill is pretty basic. It's usually taught as part of entry-level training in the pool, the poolside simulating a boat. Trainees are taught not only how to exit the water themselves but also how to be boat crew, helping their fellow divers out.

1 Make sure you're buoyant and make sure you keep your reg in your mouth until the very last moment.

2 Maintain one hand contact with the boat as much as possible (ideally the whole time but that's nearly impossible)

3 Release your weightbelt or integrated weights and pass them up to the crew (good crew will get a good grip on it and tell you 'Got it' before you let go)

4 Release all cross chest and waist straps or cummerbunds

4 Release your LH shoulder strap (if in a DS disconnect the suit feed first) and swing the set round on your right shoulder. This way your reg can stay in your mouth the whole time.

5 Grip the boat with your left hand, the crew will reach down and take hold of the set, again they'll tell you they've 'Got it!'.

6 Extract your right arm from the BCD harness, the crew pulls the set up and inboard (you can give it a boost from underneath too) just let the reg fall from your mouth as the hose begins to tug it clear.

7 Two hands on the side of the boat (or the grab handles), a couple of bounces in the water to build up momentum then pull and fin up hard on the the upstroke of the last bounce. Bend at the waist and drape yourself over the side of the boat (no need to hold on now) then straighten yourself out and swing a leg inboard. You'll now be able to sit upright and bring your other leg over the gunwhale or tube.

Doing it this way means you've always got mask and fins on and a reg in your mouth (until the very last moment). It also ensures that either you or the crew always have positive contact with the set so it can't sink or drift away.

I would leave it on if at all possible, but I find it much easier to get out of the rig if I'm neutral a foot or two under the water. Instead of taking it off one arm at a time, I undo my waist strap, then I reach both my arms over my head, and grab my tank valve. I then pull the whole rig forward over my head. It's now off in front of me and I have a secure hold on it.

Putting it on is the same process in reverse. Be very careful if you have a can light, otherwise, it might find its way to the bottom of the lake.

Tom

I'd recommend to wear a 2mm or 3mm wetsuit. That way whatever happens, you'll still float instead of sink. Then do like others said, remove the weight belt/weight pouches first and gave them to the boat crew, then take off your BC & fin and let the boat crew earn their ips.

Hand up your weight belt if you use one. Then have boat people drag up your BC with tank and regs attached. Then your fins. Pee if you have to or not. FLush out wetsuit. Get in boat.

I hope you are the last one getting out.:D

Make sure there is enough air in your BC to float it. Hand up your weights. Loosen all fasteners. put hand up and exhale; dropping out of the BC (try not to lose the reg). Hand BC to crewman and help by pushing it up. Remove fins and climb ladder. Repair damage to POS plastic regulators caused as they were hauled over the side and quickly stowed.:lotsalove:

That's essentially what I've been doing.

However I don't remove my quick release weights and hand them to the crew because:

with all the churning going on there's a good chance of losing my grip while getting the weights out and up to the crew or losing the weights altogether. Moreover, I pay good tips for young and strong crew members to do this for me and I tell them ahead of time about it.

I'd recommend to wear a 2mm or 3mm wetsuit. That way whatever happens, you'll still float instead of sink. Then do like others said, remove the weight belt/weight pouches first and gave them to the boat crew, then take off your BC & fin and let the boat crew earn their ips.

Back
Top Bottom