Lesson learned...the easy way...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dscuba

Reaction score
So I was reading up on pony bottles here on the site.... Let's not start another thread here about pro's/con's and who is right please... Thanks! Anyway, I decided to switch the way I carry a pony from using a pony tamer to carrying it rigged like a stage bottle (slung from chest to hip on my left). Anyway, I spent a good amount of time getting the system rigged, trying it on on my couch, getting excited about the new setup and its advantages to my style of diving.

I was so excited that I thought I should jump in the water and do a cool wreck penetration (on the Yukon in San Diego) with the new setup and see how it worked. It never crossed my mind that it would be prudent to take an OW dive first to practice with the new setup.... To make a long story short, the scheduling of the boats I was diving from got screwed up, so they cancelled the Yukon trip and sent the boat to the Coronado islands instead...no big deal since I was going to dive those the next day anyway. So I jump in the water with my new rig, and no surprise, the new kit behaves completely differently than the old. My buoyancy was screwy because of the new distribution, my pressure gauge was in a new place, other components were arranged differently.... Needless to say, the first 5-10 minutes of the dive were spent getting used to the setup!! Time well spent everyone. While I imagine that a wreck penetration would have been possible, it certainly wouldn't have been fun.

So my lesson learned the easy way, is to always try out new gear/setups on simple dives first. Then use them on complicated dives when comfy. This may sound obvious and over discussed, but I was ready to jump the gun, and am very glad I didn't get the opportunity!! Gonna dive the Yukon tomorrow now that I'm all setup and ready to go. I hope this inspires someone else out there to take a breath (pun intended) before jumping into a complicated dive with new gear! Later

Looks like your guardian was looking out for you that day. Thanks for sharing your story.

I recently came to the same conclusion that my wife nad I need to practice with some new stuff in confined water before we get to open water. Its safety gear and not likely to need to use it but I like the idea of practicing with it so I know how to use it and I am comfortable with using it before I do need to use it.

Tom

So how do you like the new setup? I have a 19cu pony that I've been thinking of rigging up front so I have better access to it, especially if I need to hand it off. I haven't yet because it seems like it would be awkward.

I route my gauge hose under my left arm and clip it on a retractor on my upper right strap so my computer hangs at my chest away from my BC inflator/Octo. I route the pony reg under my right arm and clip it like an octo also on my right side. This has been the most comfortable configuration for me so far.

It just seems like the pony bottle would be in the way if I put it up front.

Hey guys,

I get a little more anal with new equipment... I hit the pool first. I made my first dive with a new BC and doubles a long time ago in an OW situation, and gee did I look confused. Now I go look confused on the bottom of a pool, and I don't have people waiting on my butt to figure the new stuff out.

Also if there IS a problem, I can work it out before I hit the open water and possibly ruin a dive.

:all:

All good points...

I usually try things out in my basement in front of a mirror first -- useful for hecking hose routing with new cofigurations, how streamlined your gear is, etc.

Second -- pool or shallow site you already know well.

Third -- deeper dives.

Another thought -- if you don't dive during the winter, a pool dive at the beginning of the season is a great way get familiar with your gear again before heading into the ocean. I did this in May with my brother who hadn't been diving in a few years. I ended up enjoying it -- both for gear/techique review, and to try out the "toys" that the helpful instructor had brought along (backplate wings, pony rigged as stage, lift bag/reel, jet fins with spring straps)

--- Texass....
After getting used to the new configuration.... I'm growing to like it better than 'pony tamed' to my main tank. It's good training for carrying stage bottles, so I will say I'm definitely glad I've made the switch.

BTW - Large_diver, I tried the setup on in front of my mirror too. Only my mirror is on the ground floor, so I had to pull the blinds to keep the neighbors from thinking I was crazy...crazier that is...

another BTW -- the dives today on the Yukon, Ruby E, and Kelp forest in San Diego were fantastic!! I've never seen this side of the country before, so everything was new to me. What great diving out here!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom