Vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This happened to me four times over 2 years: I ascend and get about 10 seconds of vertigo half way up. I know it could be a reverse block if one of my eustachian (sp?) tubes clears and the other doesn't. Problem is that none of the times was I at all congested and one of the times it happened to my buddy as well (we were coming up from a wreck in 30 feet of mixed salt - fresh water in a tidal river). None of my other 123 dives had me experience this. What could be the reason?

Hard to say really...I get it on ascent in the last 10 feet, but only if I look up and see the shimmering surface....if I look up, check the surface, then make the final 10 feet while looking out, at an angle or down I'm fine. I suspect it has something to do with depressurization of the ear affecting the vestibular coupled with visual stimulation of the shimmering surface.

Were you wearing a hood? I've found that if the hood is tight, I can get slight vertigo upon ascent. Letting some water in on both sides of the hood equalizes the pressure (for me) and the vertigo goes away.

Yeah, I wear a hood. Odd that it only happened the 4 times. I'm not prone to dizziness, seasickness, etc., so it's unlikely looking up was a factor.

I get vertigo for a short period (less than a minute) when cold water chills the ear canal; it is not uncommon. The "only happening 4 times" makes it tough to figure out, but could this play a part?

Iv'e experienced vertigo a few times while diving. It took some time, but I finally figured out that it only happened when I took 2 allergy meds (Flonase and Zyrtec) rather than just one. I dropped the Zyrtec and have had no issues with vertigo since.

Markon--Maybe-The water temp. was 40F, but it did happen once in Fla. at 60F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom