Does this seem like a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrecks30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aeris Package #2

Im a newly Certified Diver and dying to get in the water, only I cant afford these thousand dollar BC's and regs. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Buy right the first time, or you will end up upgrading within a year and spending double... Look into all your options BP/W, different regs etc.. Put a list together, and get them as you can afford them.. rent what u dont have if you wanna dive. Can't understand why people will skimp on gear that they are depending on to keep them safe underneath the water...

For example, it took me almost 2 months to get what gear i have
Oceanic VT3 wrist computer
DSS Bp/ Wing
wetsuit,booties, fins, snorkel, mask

Soon to come are my
Apeks xtx200 reg/octo
2- x7 HP100 tanks

That is really not a bad deal. But your instructor should have covered all of this in class. Where will you be diving? Cold or warm water or both. What kind of exposure protection will you be using? How much weight will you need to carry? Do you need or want an environmentally sealed reg? Diaphragm or piston? Weight belt or integrated? If you do not know you need to go back and tell him/her you want the rest of your class. The setup you listed is a good basic warm water set up. Read the reviews. Check out the threads on here about warm water vs cold water.

Do you plan on traveling with this? How will it pack? I myself prefer a BPW for everything except pool sessions. Can't beat it for traveling, infinitely adjustable, and easy to dive. For a reg look at LP's oceanic alpha8 w/CDX5. 150 bucks and it's sealed. Call them and see if they'll swap that reg for the AERIS. That would be the only change I'd really like to have starting out. And if you plan on doing any cold water you'll need a weight belt so you can carry enough and more importantly not have all your weight in one sytem.

Ebay or LeisurePro.

Ok, we did go over these things but, He wants me to buy his BC and Reg so he can get a new one. I live in Missourii and there are not alot of places to dive besides quarries and lakes. I have Scubapro fins, mask, boots and snorkel. I would like to get scubapro BC and reg and computer, but I cant afford all of these things, So i need something that will work, I want it to be reliable most of all, i dont really care about how well it packs or how cool it looks. I will be using a 5mm wetsuit 99% of the time, no dry suits right now. I just like to dive.

Thanks for the input so far

I am actually getting certified this up coming weekend, and like you, I dont kave the thousands of dollars to spend. Even to rent here is expensave so I opted to buy a few things. I bought my regs off SB marketplace at a really good price. I bought a BC and computer at the LDS when they had their yearly sale.. The rest, I will rent, and when I can afford more, I will buy slowly. I figured I should buy something i liked and that I could use for a frw yrs without needing to upgrade. Its just a matter of looking around for decent prices. Happy shopping and diving...

Aeris Package #2

Im a newly Certified Diver and dying to get in the water, only I cant afford these thousand dollar BC's and regs. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

For the kind of diving you described in latter post this may be a fine package. There is no need to have absolute top of the line gear. Some is just prestige, some is for extreme usage and some works with a little more Precision but by and large its all perfectly safe. The layers have seen to that!

I would suggest that you try to work something out with a local servicing shop. As for the notion of buying the instructors old gear so he can upgrade, that is a red flag.

You did mention quarry diving so you do want to make sure the regulator is cold water capable. Quarry's get cold and cold can be dangerous with the wrong regulator. I don't see you getting into dangerously cold water in a 5mm suit but that may change.

I suggest that you hold of on buying for a few weeks while you devour the gear forums here on ScubaBoard. Use the search function to learn about items, features and the selection process. Becoming gear savvy is tougher than getting certified.

Pete

It's hard being a new diver wanting to run out and buy everything right after you complete your OW. That's what I did, and luckily for as inexperienced as I was at the time, I did get pretty decent stuff that I still love. Looking back, I probably would have rented a few times, gotten a few dives under my belt, then started looking. The deals will still be there tomorrow, next month, or even next season. Take your time and buy the gear you really want, even if its a piece at a time.

Ok, we did go over these things but, He wants me to buy his BC and Reg so he can get a new one. I live in Missourii and there are not alot of places to dive besides quarries and lakes. I have Scubapro fins, mask, boots and snorkel. I would like to get scubapro BC and reg and computer, but I cant afford all of these things, r
buying his used gear, assuming it fits and works well, may be a great idea. Or not. Obviously, he's not the person to give you an unbiased opinion on condition or value of the gear he's selling. Maybe you know someone else who dives and is experienced enough to take a look and give you an opinion? An instructor who's been using a set of gear heavily for years, especially if they've been using it in the pool, it could be pretty beat. Or, maybe he tries to swap out his gear like this every year so it doesn't get too beat and one lucky person each year gets a good deal. No way to guess.

Why would you like a ScubaPro BC and reg and computer? Especially if you are concerned about price? Scubapro is a good brand but you are paying partly for the name, and there are lots of other good brands. There is no reason for all your gear to be the same brand, and actually several reasons for it not to be. For one thing different companies, even if they carry a full line, tend to be better at certain types of gear than others. It's also very unlikely if you picked out the best BC, reg, etc. for yourself that they would all be the same brand. And while looks don't matter, if anything it could look a bit lame or maybe unknowledgable to look like an advertisement for one brand. An instructor may be wearing all Scubapro or whatever because they teach for a shop that sells it, gives them a deal, and wants them to wear it for the students to see and increase the chances they will buy it. It has nothing to do with it being the best gear for you or anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom