Pony Reg??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question regarding a reg for a pony bottle. Probably a simple question but I was curious, I am purchasing a new BCD with integrated Octo and have no need for my current separate Octo attached to my first stage. I thought instead of trying to sell it or pack it away, possibly use it as a primary 2nd stage for the pony if I picked up a first stage on Ebay or something, but then Im thinking, if I buy another first stage its going to come with the primary 2nd. Maybe the latter would be the more cost effective solution? Also is there any issue with the Primary 2nd stage being yellow for the pony?

There area a lot of good used first stage regs for sale on Ebay without the second stage. I use a yellow hose on my (yellow) pony tank and none of the scuba police have said a word.

Greetings CJM and it is a good question. IMO "in my opinion" you would be fine to use the yellow hose. Personally I would not get rid of the second stage till I was sure I liked the other alternate air source. I have found myself moving back to a simpler, KISS method of scuba. It just makes it easier for those around me as well as myself included. I purchased an air two alternate about a two years ago it will be for sale soon. I have managed to accumulate many such items in just a few years. I am not trying to discourage you in any way, you may love it. Just be very careful packing your BCD and inspect it very carefully before and after every dive. I have seen alternates literally fall in pieces, it can be unnerving if not prepared for such an emergency.
Have fun and train with your new gear, get to know it well. Be sure to do air share drills and that your dive buddy knows the particulars of your system.
Safe diving and good morning!
Cam G Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

When i bought my new dive right trans plate i got air2 so no need for octo. I had a old 1st laying around so put that together and threw is on my pony worked fine.

Sounds like a good idea to me and like Garrobo said there isn't any scuba police. If someone says something about your yellow hose tell them to blow it out their octo.:D

Thanks for the opinions everyone

i liked the yellow hose easier to see its all ready long enough to reach a 2nd diver if need to cheap, works perfect. win win right there

In my humble opinion the best way is a "real" octo - NOT BC integrated.

There are a bunch of reasons why I think that but the reality is this - in a panic situation where someone needs emergency air - do YOU really want YOUR buoyancy between your lips and breathing off it? or would YOU rather have your hands free to manage your buoyancy - and theirs, since they have no air?

Simple answer in my mind, don't integrate your emergency air into your BC. The question is how do you answer that question?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom