The Clarity Of Little Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy and I were working on navigation in water with 5 foot visibility last weekend. We were in a quarry that runs down to 60 feet deep.

Our plan was to surface, pick a feature on the other shore line, get a heading, and then work as a team to navigate to that point. We would then swim over until we came up against the wall, surface and see how we did.

The quarry takes about 6 minutes to swim across if you are not in a hurry, but fit enough to keep a constant moderate pace. We would drop down to a pre-determined depth and then take off, with her working the heading (for this particular exercise) and me watching our depth.

We would sink down in the cold murky water and the entire world would disappear... replaced by nothing more than a vague greenness around us, darker below and lighter above... and these little white organic bits that look exactly like plankton at night (but which actually were little tiny tree particles falling off nearby cottonwoods in their spring cycle) were everywhere.

We started to swim, and after a minute or so I would be in a groove.... the cold green water (about 60 degrees at depth) would flow by my face, bringing with it a snowstorm of these white little bits... the only things I could see were my buddy (who I was actually holding on to so I didn't lose her in the murk)my computer (which I was watching to keep us exactly at our chosen depth) and my SPG.

Swimming along, the little white snow floating by, nothing but weightlessness and cold green water to see... knowing that in about 4 minutes the water would darken with the shadows of the wall, and as we slowed a dark brown slice of reality would appear before us in the form of the rock sides of the quarry.

It is hard to describe the feelings I had as I was doing this, going back and forth across this little bit of inner space... weightless but not timeless, alone but not alone, safe for the time in a world that could kill... just me, and her, my depth and pressure gauges, the little snowflakes and the cold green water flowing past as we swam.

I've been trying to think of a way to describe what I was feeling but I really can't.

It was like this fish I was looking at during one of our turn-around stops. The fish was a bluegill, about 6 inches long. It was about a foot away from me, and it was checking me out... I think one does a disservice to nature to humanize it, but when I was looking at the fish I started to imagine what it was like to BE that fish... to live my entire life in this one little lake of dark green cold water... eat or be eaten, chase down the prey or hunt down the meal... the bluegill's entire universe encapsulated within 5 acres of water...

I was thinking that while fish are wonderful and amazing animals I don't really want to BE a fish in a 5 acre lake... or even one in the ocean... I would rather be exploring worlds where I am not a part of the natural environment... I can't stay there forever, because I can't live underwater... but I can visit there for a time.

I freely admit that I am a neophyte SCUBA diver, and I have learned a lot about equipment, about safety and about training by listening to other divers talk around the shops, around the quarries, around the forums, on the boat and at the shore...

All of this is important, yes... I mean, what good is a dive you don't live to come home from or that you don't enjoy because of failures either of technical or technique... but... there really is more too it than that, or at least I think there is...

I am new, I am inexperienced, and I was diving in a situation that a lot of folks wouldn't even bother to have gotten in the water... virtually no visibility and cold... and yet I was able to reach out and touch something that was unique and important... an experience that was like nothing else I have ever done before, one that was both subtle and magical in a very small way...

Swimming along in my little cold green universe, with nothing but my buddy, my gauges and my snowflakes slowly floating past ... weightless in a constant state of being... with only darkness be low and the light above...

I was infinite.

I couldn't have expressed it so well myself.

It also felt like an act of faith of sorts -- to take off with no referents, swim swim swim just following the compass needle even when it felt like it was making us swim in a circle. Truly a different world, and my preconceptions need not apply.

So how did you do with the navigation? Did you end up where you thought you would? I love limited visability dives for those exact reasons. To add a further challenge next time try swimming a pattern. Pick a heading, swim for a predetermined amount of time (or number of fin kicks) turn right 90 degrees, swim the same amount of time or fin kicks, turn right 90 degrees, do it again, and then again. Surface and if you've done well you should be in the same spot you started in. The trick is trying to keep your swimming at a constant pace as you count fin kicks or watch minutes to make each leg of the square the same distance.

Its a really good exercise in limited visability, have one member of the team navigate, while the other watches minutes or counts fin kicks.

Now, my question is, did you find the other wall???.....or just go in circles--round & round & round...

So how did you do with the navigation? Did you end up where you thought you would? I love limited visability dives for those exact reasons. To add a further challenge next time try swimming a pattern. Pick a heading, swim for a predetermined amount of time (or number of fin kicks) turn right 90 degrees, swim the same amount of time or fin kicks, turn right 90 degrees, do it again, and then again. Surface and if you've done well you should be in the same spot you started in. The trick is trying to keep your swimming at a constant pace as you count fin kicks or watch minutes to make each leg of the square the same distance.

Its a really good exercise in limited visability, have one member of the team navigate, while the other watches minutes or counts fin kicks.

The navigation was fine. We will be making it more tricky in the future... in our AOW training we had to do the box & kickstrokes, but that was done in Kona with 120+ feet of vis... not very tricky there.

Now, my question is, did you find the other wall???.....or just go in circles--round & round & round...

Our compass really doesn't go in circles, even though it is round.

Finding a wall 150 yards away by swimming in a strait line is really not that hard :)

"Partial sensory deprivation, including changes in patterns and relationships of sensory input, cause a state of relaxation conducive to an altered state. Awareness of one's surroundings remains and hypnagogic activity is likely to occur. A reduction of external stimuli allows an individual to focus inward due to the absence of attending to sensory input. Altering sensory perception allows for a focusing of the mind which in time produces an altered state. Relaxation, time to think without distractions, vivid imagery, and feelings of love and warmth are common experiences" [Wallace & Fisher, 1991].

Some of the most satisfying dives I have had are in lower visibility conditions in the PacNW. Dropping in to find an obscure wall, collecting dungenese crab, or practicing navigation, it makes you focus on a much smaller area compared to 100ft visibility.

It certainly has helped expand my comfort zone and awareness underwater of what is right next to me. What's the old saying about can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes we can get too busy trying to see everything and end up seeing nothing.

Given the choice, I'll opt for 100ft visibility. But, I'm glad that I haven't "limited" myself to that criteria (wouldn't dive much up here).

Some of the most satisfying dives I have had are in lower visibility conditions in the PacNW. Dropping in to find an obscure wall, collecting dungenese crab, or practicing navigation, it makes you focus on a much smaller area compared to 100ft visibility.

It certainly has helped expand my comfort zone and awareness underwater of what is right next to me. What's the old saying about can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes we can get too busy trying to see everything and end up seeing nothing.

Given the choice, I'll opt for 100ft visibility. But, I'm glad that I haven't "limited" myself to that criteria (wouldn't dive much up here).

Yup! I'll take the higher vis. when I can get it, but with rare exceptions, in the PNW ' 15-20' is good, 30' excellent and anything beyond 50' pretty much unheard of.

Tim

Our compass really doesn't go in circles, even though it is round.

Finding a wall 150 yards away by swimming in a strait line is really not that hard :)

Well heck then, why use a compass??.....

Back
Top Bottom