Why north at 180 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious...

Why does my dive compass (as well as a few others I've noticed) have north set at 180 degrees rather than zero like the ones I've used for hiking and sailing?

This has got to be a joke, right?

Your profile has you listed as DM; It would be interesting to see a list of your training locations and instructors!

SelkieDVM:
Why does my dive compass (as well as a few others I've noticed) have north set at 180 degrees...

It doesn't. You're reading it incorrectly.

Whether this is a real post or not, I will respond, because that's what I asked my OW instructor when I got certified and he couldn't respond. This question has also come up in several classes that I have DMed.

If you're familiar with land navigation as with hiking and camping or in my case the Army, you may be used to compasses that have the needle mounted on a disk that has the various degree headings.

On this type of scuba compass, you do not read the degree numbers on the disk from the top. The numbers on the disk are for reading only through the window on the back. So, if you're headed towards 0 degrees, the disk will read 180 on the top, but 0 from the back. In other words, all the numbers read from above at the front will be opposite from those read from the back.

You use the top part of the compass by setting your heading with the numbers on the bezel and turning the direction you are facing until the 0 mark lines up with the North mark not the 0 on the disk.

To simplify things, I just tell the students to look through the back window and forget using the top degree markings until they take AOW.

Sorry, I'm not talking about the actual needle heading but the bearings with the N and the S on the face. I apologize if I was not clear.

Whether this is a real post or not, I will respond, because that's what I asked my OW instructor when I got certified and he couldn't respond. This question has also come up in several classes that I have DMed.

If you're familiar with land navigation as with hiking and camping or in my case the Army, you may be used to compasses that have the needle mounted on a disk that has the various degree headings.

On this type of scuba compass, you do not read the degree numbers on the disk from the top. The numbers on the disk are for reading only through the window on the back. So, if you're headed towards 0 degrees, the disk will read 180 on the top, but 0 from the back. In other words, all the numbers read from above at the front will be opposite from those read from the back.

You use the top part of the compass by setting your heading with the numbers on the bezel and turning the direction you are facing until the 0 mark lines up with the North mark not the 0 on the disk.

To simplify things, I just tell the students to look through the back window and forget using the top degree markings until they take AOW.

Thank you, this answers my question. The window is difficult for me to read, so I have always used it by looking down from the top.

Just curious...

Why does my dive compass (as well as a few others I've noticed) have north set at 180 degrees rather than zero like the ones I've used for hiking and sailing?

When you're looking down at the compass, you can set the rotating bezel for navigation and reciprocal headings.

When you're looking through the window on the side of the compass, your true heading is displayed, because it's showing the side that is 180* off of your direction of travel.

Example, when your compass is pointing North, if you look in the window, you'll see a direction of 0*. When you turn and face South and look through the window, you'll see the 180* mark displayed.

Just curious...

Yes, dive compass are marked odd compared to those for hiking, sailing or
anything else. It deals with whether it's a direct or indirect reading compass.
See, e.g., SCUBA

--Mike

Themons,you've just beaten me to it.:D

The difference comes from the landbased and the nautical compasses.(we use nautical)
Just take a look at any compass on the bridge of any ship.(just google for it)and you'll see how they are used. The army is a good example for the landbased compasses(so are boyscouts)
I've seen an instructor sending divers 180 degrees offcourse just because he learned to navigate in the army.Just use the window at the back and you'll be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom