Debate Begins - Do Sharks Sneeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offthewall1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After much prodding from some of my friends and customers, I've decided to share what may be one of a kind footage with you all.

A recent student of mine looked up "sharks sneezing" on the internet and found a quote which read "Scientists believe sharks sneeze, but there is no documented evidence." It went on to say they believe they do this to flush their gills...

I'm no scientist, but I believe I have video footage of a shark sneezing. I'll let you be the judge.. I shot this footage in 2005 on a Dive Site known as Sharks Pass in Truk Lagoon (Chuuk, Micronesia.) It is of a Black Tip Reef Shark... I believe... sneezing...

Have a look...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=128576&nocache=1

Thank you very much. I can now go to sleep at night , not having to ponder this question.

Well, I can't watch the video (no Quicktime on the work PC), but I think we should send this one to the Mythbusters guys to explore on their next "Shark Week" program.

Well, I can't watch the video (no Quicktime on the work PC), but I think we should send this one to the Mythbusters guys to explore on their next "Shark Week" program.

Yes. Inquiring divers want to know.:popcorn:

Is it a sneeze or a snort?

And what about the other bodily functions?
Do sharks belch?
Do sharks fart?

So many unanswered questions.

I have footage/stills of a Caribbean Reef shark doing something similar in Cay Sal a few years ago. If I can find it, I'll post it here.
Same movement though, looked like he was clearing his throat or gagging on something.

After working in a few aquariums, I have seen many sharks do this. I am pretty sure it is meant more to reset their jaws in place or maybe just stretch. They do it a lot after meals. Sharks don't have the equipment (lungs, diaphragm, etc.) to sneeze. What "scientists" are you referring to?

Dr. Neil-I don't know about belching or farting, but they can invert their spiral valve out of their cloaca and their stomach out of their mouth. This is believed to rid their digestive tract of unwanted food items (tires, license plates, etc.)

Dr. Neil-I don't know about belching or farting, but they can invert their spiral valve out of their cloaca and their stomach out of their mouth. This is believed to rid their digestive tract of unwanted food items (tires, license plates, etc.)

Mother nature does it again! Amazing!:sharkattack:

Back
Top Bottom