Shark Dive on Oahu and Diving in general there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ihh

Registered
Reaction score
We'll be visiting firends in Hawaii 21-28 June and will try to dive one or two days. Have not been diving on Oahu since 1995. Any "local knowledge" or suggestions out there? When we lived there we dove mostly Leeward and North Shore. We'll be staying in Kailua this time.

Have heard that someone is running shark dives (caged?) out of Haleiwa. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,
Hugh

The shark dives out of Haleiwa are caged, and they are a relatively new business, I believe. I don't know the name of the operator, but a quick check of our yellow pages shows that Aquazone (located in Waikiki) offers "shark cage adventures". Probably they contract out with this operator on the North Shore. If a general search online doesn't give you any leads, you may want to try calling them for info. Their number is (808) 923-3483.

Generally the best diving is on the North Shore - and you've already done that. If you want to dive some wrecks, there are a few off Waikiki/Ala Moana beach, and a few on the east side of the island in Hawaii Kai. Many operators do daily dives there - I recommend Island Divers (they have a website). Small operation, great bunch of guys that love diving.

Not much diving on the windward side that I know of, other than some shore diving. If you wanted to stay in that area, try Aaron's Dive Shop - located in Kailua - for suggestions. I've never been there myself, but they're pretty well known.

Thanks, will give them a call. Dove with Jack Aarons on a trip to Kona in 94. They were a larger operation then with the MWR guys at Camp Smith and a couple of other locations.

Hugh

I just got back from a trip to Oahu and saw an article on the shark dive operator, but unfortunately forget the name. It does run out of Haleiwa and apparently does 3-4 trips a day with approx 16 people max per trip (2 get in the cage at a time for ~15 min). The cage is attached to a buoy a couple of miles off the coast.

Back
Top Bottom