Bora Bora - Diver's heaven ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH

Registered
Reaction score
Well I promised Leadweight a report so here it is:

I’ve just got back from 2 weeks diving in Bora Bora – supposed to be 2nd Honeymoon but don’t let on to my wife !!!

Things I liked:

1. The place - got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Everywhere was like a picture post card. I have done a fair amount of travelling in my time but this place really is the nuts.
2. Visibility - not the best I have ever encountered but consistently good up to about 20-30m.
3. Fish life - Just so many and very colourful. Mostly completely unafraid of divers.
4. Sharks – OK only black tipped and grey reef sharks (some Lemon) but lots of them.
5. Rays – big but a fearful of divers.
6. Nemo Diving – Good professional outfit, friendly and well equipped
7. Camera – 1st time I have used a camera (Olympus C5050 and PT-015) underwater – it took a bit of practice but I think I’m getting there.

Things I didn’t like

1. Inexperienced divers crashing into the reef and worst of all trailing their octopus and pressure gauge in the reef.
2. Some dive companies feeding fish (incl sharks) – OK it may be the price to pay for an abundance of fish that don’t fear divers but it is too big a price IMHO. I think we are there just to look – don’t touch, don’t take
3. Price - $65 per dive £3 per can of coke. But it was a price worth paying
4. Too many Honeymooners i.e. not much conversation in the bar at night – everyone had gone to bed – can’t think why – or is it that I can’t remember ?

Well that’s about it. If anyone wants a more detailed appraisal – I might be persuaded.

Ian

Ian,

Did you spend the entire 2 weeks in Bora Bora. Where did you stay in Bora Bora? Did you do the Manta lagoon dive I've heard about?

I just returned from the Tahiti Aggressor last week (May 17-24) and were considering returning to Bora Bora and Manihi at some point. (after my bank account recovers!) While researching our trip, I didn't see a lot posted about French Polynesia.

Can you post some pics? or give a website address?

Thanks,

John

I would have to agree.....!
Bora Bora is like no place else-I found myself constantly wondering if I was in a dream? It really does a hurting on your credit card balance though. (but worth it!)
:D

We loved Bora Bora as well. Very pretty place above and below the water.

We did the Manta lagoon dive and did see 4 mantas. The problem was that the vis sucked - about 25 feet because of big waves outside the reef stirring things up inside. Still, seeing that many mantas with such bad vis means they came pretty close!

The best manta experience was on Manihi though. Only saw one but we swam with it for about 5 minutes. Right beside it. Very cool. Of course that's the dive I didn't take the camera, I think it knew.

We like Rangiroa the best though. Wilder with lots more sharks. Of course they did feed them.

The dive masters said if we didn't feed sharks we'd probably not see them at all, especially shy sharks like lemons. The sharks do make the dives fun...

You dog, you dog, you dog.

That's it, I have to do another Pacific trip. That's the ticket.

JNS

Yes we stayed the whole two weeks - when we are on holiday we just like to veg out - packing and repacking for different destinations is not our thing - getting totally laid back is.

We stay at Le Merdien - I thoroughly recommend it although it is expensive.

What sort of pictures do you want - above or below the water ?

I think I did Manta lagoon although Nemo do not have a dive by that name. One of the most disappointing things about the trip was that I didn't see a manta - 3 big eagle rays but no mantas.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the extra info. Was more interested in below water pics but above water pics would be great as well!!!

I'll try to attach a pic from our trip...

John

jnsgonda once bubbled...
Ian,

While researching our trip, I didn't see a lot posted about French Polynesia.

Can you post some pics? or give a website address?

Thanks,

John

if you search this section from last nov/dec you'll find lots of good info and pics from Scuba Jim, Finesse and others that were in FP during that time.

Also here's some links to my trip reports from a trip last December.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19866

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19888

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19927

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom