Ikelite port for 14-54mm and EC-20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know which Ikelite port I should get for the 14-54mm and EC-20 combo? Right now, I have the 8" dome assembly, the #5510.24 port for the 14-54mm and the #5510.25 port for the 7-14mm. I've checked the Ikelite Web site and can't find information on using teleconverters underwater.

About the combo, do you think it is usable for macro work? I was thinking of using this setup until I get the 50mm macro (or even the long awaited 100mm macro from Olympus). Thanks.

Tele-converters can create a myriad of problems, which is why we do not promote their use.

Based on Olympus specs, the EC-20 is 2.5" in length. This means you will need to get our port extensions #5510.50 (.75") and #5510.58 (1.75"). This will extend your 8" dome 2.5" which will accommodate the tele-converter. Your 14-54mm lens is actually a 28-90mm (35mm equivalent). With the 2x tele-converter, the lens now becomes a 56-180mm...good for shooting only small subjects at a distance, since this is not a macro lens.
You will also be pushing the lens 2.5" farther away from the housing port opening. As a result, you will lose zoom control.
Another potential problem will be the closest focusing distance. Depending on where that is, you may need to add a diopter just so the lens can create an apparent image behind the dome.
I would instead get the 50mm macro lens, or wait for the 100mm macro. Remember that you will want to move to a flat port for macro, due to the magnification benefit from light refraction underwater.
To put it simply, for best results, purchase a macro lens (and flat port) for macro photography underwater. Use the 14-54mm lens with 8" dome for wide angle and general photography underwater.

Last edited:
With the 2x tele-converter, the lens now becomes a 56-180mm...good for shooting only small subjects at a distance, since this is not a macro lens.

The 14-54 is actually a cheap "macro" lens. Its closest focusing distance is about an inch from the front lens element. In fact, the Ikelite Web site says it does not require a diopter because it focuses close enough.

You will also be pushing the lens 2.5" farther away from the housing port opening. As a result, you will lose zoom control.

I think I can live with that.

Remember that you will want to move to a flat port for macro, due to the magnification benefit from light refraction underwater.

The Ikelite Web site lists the #5510.24 for the 14-54mm in conjunction with the 8" dome assembly, but doesn't list anything for the flat port. Since you are suggesting the flat port and a couple of extensions (#5510.50 and #5510.58), which port body are these supposed to be used with for the 14-54? I was thinking of sticking with the dome assembly to minimize costs given that this will be a temporary setup. Thank you.

Closest focus shown on the Olympus site is 8.67" with a maximum reproduction ratio of .65x....still not a lens I would recommend for macro photography. I am NOT recommending a flat port for this lens, as you will lose the wide angle capability of the lens. You will lose angle of coverage due to light refraction, and also vignetting will likely occur at wider angle settings.

Use the 8" dome for this lens and shoot close-ups when you wish. A DEDICATED 1:1 macro lens with a flat port is always your best option for close-ups.

As stated before, if you use the 2x tele-converter, you will lose zoom capability, which means you must preset the lens before diving.

Back
Top Bottom