What is your favorite BC and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcusCarr

Reaction score
I will be dumping what I consider a lot of money into a BC soon and would like to make the right choice.

For those who have used multiple BC's, what was your choice BC and why?

It is important to me to have a BC which will allow me to stop in any position underwater and stay there, without effort. After reading a previous post about the "horizontal force" inherent in back inflates and BP/W, I feel that my choice of a Aqualung Black Diamond may have been rushed.

MarcusCarr once bubbled...
It is important to me to have a BC which will allow me to stop in any position underwater and stay there, without effort.
This comes with buoyancy control, lots of diving, and personal skill. Not the BC.

After reading a previous post about the "horizontal force" inherent in back inflates and BP/W, I feel that my choice of a Aqualung Black Diamond may have been rushed.
A properly trimmed out back inflate will allow you to settle into a horizontal position (the most streamlined position for moving through the water). You will not be "forced" into it. A poorly trimmed back inflate will just as easily put you into a heads down or heads up position.

I am really looking for a good research starting point. With so many different choices out there, what brands deliver consistent high quality?

...best thing to do would be dive a jacket style BC, back inflate style BC, and if you choose to try them, backplate and wings. Settle on a style of BC first - and you can only do that by getting certified and trying them all in the water :)

Definately sound advice. I will just have to reign in and address the search again after the 5 week course. Until then, I will be content watching the boards

Scubaroo's advice is good...but what do you train in? You'll probably train in the standard rental gear, i.e. a stab jacket. This may predispose you toward that choice.

With many pieces of diving equipment, what feels good the first day may not be what you ultimately want.

For example:

Stab jacket...easy to get in and out of for novices, pockets, etc. However, once you have some experience diving both, you'll probably prefer a backplate and wings.

Split fins...no cramps, you're faster than your buddies. Once you have some experience you realize that it limits the number of kicks you can do, and that it's harder to position yourself in the water etc. You'll end up with paddle fins.

And so on.

That's where ebay comes in...

I myself am a very new diver (after reviewing my log I have just 14 dives under my belt) and did a lot of research when it came time to buy my gear. I liked the surface stability of a facket style bc on the surface but I hated having to constantly adjust it underwater so that it fit properly. Then I discoverd back inflate bc's. I after trying them on in the stores I knew I had to have one. Then I looked at the price takes and I realized I was going to have to save a lot of money.

First I purchased a Sea Quest Raider on Ebay. It was a very high quality piece and very comfortable. It felt much better in the water than the jacket style bc's that I rented. Then I tried to stuff it into a bag. That's when I realized that it was far too bulky. I did just one pool dive in it. I sold it on Ebay and got all of my money back and then some. I decided that I wanted a backplate and wing. Well I didn't quite go all the way. I ended up purchasing a Deep Outdoors Matrix. If you have not seen this you can check out www.deepoutdoors.com. The reasons I chose it was that it offered a stainless steel backplate, a comfy padded harness, and was designed to be modular like the OMS IQ pack or Dive Rite Trans Pac II. I like that I can remove the stainless steel plate to lighten it for travel or I can leave it in for the ultimate stability when used with my single tank adapters which are a must as the tank mounting provisions they allow for are not very good. I ended up getting it for about half of list price so it was also a very very good deal. I have three dives on it so far but will have hopefully another 30+ when I return from my honeymoon in Bonaire and Curacao.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Scubaroo's advice is good...but what do you train in? You'll probably train in the standard rental gear, i.e. a stab jacket. This may predispose you toward that choice.

With many pieces of diving equipment, what feels good the first day may not be what you ultimately want.

For example:

Stab jacket...easy to get in and out of for novices, pockets, etc. However, once you have some experience diving both, you'll probably prefer a backplate and wings.

Split fins...no cramps, you're faster than your buddies. Once you have some experience you realize that it limits the number of kicks you can do, and that it's harder to position yourself in the water etc. You'll end up with paddle fins.

And so on.
s
That's where ebay comes in...

Stab jacket: My father started diving in 1968. When he did some cavern dives in the 80s he used a BP & Wing. Now all he does is pleasure dive and will not give up his Scubapro Classic for anything. I personally prefer a back-inflate.

Fins: I started out on Scubapro Jets (I own 3 pairs) when I started diving in 96. Used them up until about a year and a half ago with no problem. I still think they are one of the best fins ever made but check my profile and see what I use now.

I am anxious to try a backplate and one of the nice people on this board has graciously offered to allow me to dive his backplate then I can make an unbiased decision.

The day I say I have found the end all be all way to dive is the day that I have become a bad diver.

For those who have used multiple BC's, what was your choice BC and why?

I prefer back inflate weight integrated and have both a SeaQuest Balance and a Fred-T BP and harness with a Halcyon Pioneer #36, and ACB. Which of the two I use, depends on the situation. For pool work and travel to warm water locations, with a minimum of exposure protection and an AL80, I prefer the Balance. It’s light, packs well, and easier to get in and out of. For diving in the drysuit with steel tanks nothing beats a BP& Wing.

It is important to me to have a BC which will allow me to stop in any position underwater and stay there, without effort.

That is a function of buoyancy control and trim not the BC. I’m confident that with a little practice I can achieve what you describe with rocks duct tapped to my suit and a garbage back for a bladder, and so could you. But, it takes practice. Simply diving a lot does not guaranty good buoyancy control, you have to specifically work on it to improve.

There is no magic bullet. If you think buying a certain type of BC will improve your buoyancy control and trim, you’re likely to be disappointed with whatever you get. Some have suggested that you try the various types. I would caution that to give them a fair shot you would have to dive with them multiple times and in all conditions, which is not practical. When I first got the BP&W my buoyancy control and trim initially got worse till I adjusted, so to strap on a BP&W as compared to a BC you’ve been diving with and comfortable is not a good comparison.

The bad news is that you’re going to have to buy something and dive with it twenty times under differing conditions to see if you really like it or not. The good news is that any quality BC will work fine and most of the differences are minor; and besides there’s always Ebay.

Good Luck,
Mike

MikeS once bubbled...

That is a function of buoyancy control and trim not the BC. I’m confident that with a little practice I can achieve what you describe with rocks duct tapped to my suit and a garbage back for a bladder, and so could you. But, it takes practice. Simply diving a lot does not guaranty good buoyancy control, you have to specifically work on it to improve.

There is no magic bullet. If you think buying a certain type of BC will improve your buoyancy control and trim, you’re likely to be disappointed with whatever you get. Some have suggested that you try the various types. I would caution that to give them a fair shot you would have to dive with them multiple times and in all conditions, which is not practical. When I first got the BP&W my buoyancy control and trim initially got worse till I adjusted, so to strap on a BP&W as compared to a BC you’ve been diving with and comfortable is not a good comparison.

The bad news is that you’re going to have to buy something and dive with it twenty times under differing conditions to see if you really like it or not. The good news is that any quality BC will work fine and most of the differences are minor; and besides there’s always Ebay.

Good Luck,
Mike

Nicely put.

I have ScubaPro Stab Jackets and a Glide Plus WI, both are comfortable yet both are different, and I can easily get and stay horizontal and/or hover at any and all depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom